FORUMS: list search recent posts

hpx300 matrix manipulation

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brian Young
hpx300 matrix manipulation
on Aug 11, 2009 at 7:30:19 pm

Greetings,
On my HPX300, I find that the preset white balances shift toward having a green cast. True white balances in the A or B channel look fine. (I'm actually seeing this same issue on another 300 as well, so I'm pretty sure it's not just mine)

With a Chroma DuMonde chart and a scope, I can't seem to get enough manipulation through the use of chroma phase, chroma level, gamma and matrix selection.

While I know it's a sub-$10k camera, I'm wondering how to gain enough control over Green to eliminate the tint that I see in Preset.

Is it possible to manipulate any of the Matrix individually? Build my own Matrix?
Would the use/changing of the Lens Shading menu help? (under Lens Setup there is Shading Select with Default, User1, User2, User3 and Off but I'm unaware of how to create User files for the Shading)

Would a paint-box give me access to further manipulation?

I like to be able to rely on the presets as I'm primarily an ENG shooter and don't always have the luxury of time to do a white.

Thanks,
Brian

Brian Young
Miami Beach
http://www.flacaproductions.com

Return to posts index

James Fortier
Re: hpx300 matrix manipulation
on Aug 13, 2009 at 4:54:02 pm

Although I've only had the HPX300 for a few weeks I'm noticing that auto whites without any manipulation tend to look a tad on the green side when I look at the footage in post. Color Correction filters in FCP can easily bring those greens down, but in the field I just cheat it by placing a 1/8 or 1/4 plus green filter in front of the lens when pulling the auto white, depending on how much green I want to pull out. If you're to rushed to pull an auto white and have to rely on the preset then you may have to "fix it in post."

Return to posts index

Robert Scarfe
on Aug 17, 2009 at 10:44:48 pm

I have got the same problem with my 301e but the auto white balance A & B is also green biased as well. This is since the FBC firmware update the older software was OK, as I checked some files I shot before the upgrade and they are all nice and natural. I reported this to Panasonic and got usual don’t want to know!. This is in addition to problems of rattling VF - poor shape rubber eye piece - low gain wireless uni-slot - Poor sensitivity in low light. In fact all in all not a very good camera!

Return to posts index

James Fortier
on Aug 18, 2009 at 2:02:25 am

besides the slightly green look of the auto whites this doesn't sound like the same camera I have.

Return to posts index

Brian Young
on Aug 18, 2009 at 2:26:29 am

I agree. My only issue is with the green cast in the presets.

Brian Young
Miami Beach
http://www.flacaproductions.com

Return to posts index

Robert Scarfe
on Aug 19, 2009 at 10:32:48 am

The green cast in the WB preset does need to be sorted out dont you think. This is the first camera that I have owned and been locked out of the matrix settings, creativivity what creativivity! The other problems may be just my camera. As a matter of interest what firmware version are you on?
Regards Robert

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]