FORUMS: list search recent posts

Slow Mo to Regular Speed?

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brad Holland
Slow Mo to Regular Speed?
on Jul 28, 2009 at 8:56:32 pm

Hey Guys...I posted this in the FCP forum as well; didn't really know where I would find the most help. I did a search but didn't see what I was looking for; any help you guys could provide would be great.

I haven't done any editing in a while, so I'm admittedly rusty, but I can't seem to figure this one out. I have a ton of watersports footage shot with an HPX-170 in the overcrank slow motion setting. The shots look unreal in slow-mo, but I need to use them at regular speed and no matter how much or how little I manipulate the speed, it just doesn't look natural. It's jerky, or it's blurry, or it's too fast/slow, or it's all of the above. The bottom line is that it looks like garbage.

Is there a way I can adjust or manipulate slow-mo footage to play at normal speed and make it look natural? Any help would be very much appreciated; here are the details.

Footage Shot with Panasonic HPX-170
DVCPRO HD
720p60
23.98 fps
960 x 720 frame size/pixel aspect

Mac Pro w/ 2x2.26 quad core processors
6G of memory
OSX 10.5.6

FCP 5.1.4

Return to posts index

Jason Jenkins
Re: Slow Mo to Regular Speed?
on Jul 29, 2009 at 2:18:07 pm

I do this all the time. If you shot at 60fps in 24p mode, that gives you 2.5x slomo. In FCP, set your speed to 250% and frame blending to OFF. This will give you real time footage. I like cutting the clip up and going from real time (250%) to slomo (100%) when something cool happens (like a flip on the wakeboard).

Jason Jenkins

Flowmotion Media

Video production... with style!

Return to posts index

Brad Holland
on Jul 29, 2009 at 2:33:26 pm

Hey Jason...Thanks so much for your response. I tried doing that, but it still looked really jerky; I'm thinking that the shutter speed was cranked up way too high and it's giving it that strobe effect. I'll keep messing with it, but thanks so much for your help...

b

Return to posts index

Jason Jenkins
on Jul 29, 2009 at 3:38:00 pm

The shutter speed could be the problem. I typically leave the shutter speed on default and I've never had trouble going back to normal speed with it. If you want to upload a few seconds of footage I'd be happy to try it out on my system.

Jason Jenkins

Flowmotion Media

Video production... with style!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]