FORUMS: list search recent posts

file naming

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gerret Warner
file naming
on Jul 28, 2009 at 4:43:15 pm

I've been using Panasonic's file names for a long time, but I wonder if others have renamed files more descriptively and whether doing so has made relinking media later on.

I can live with numeric names, but it would be nice to see a more descriptive timeline.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: file naming
on Jul 28, 2009 at 5:15:04 pm

You an rename them in log and transfer, or you can upload metadata to the camera and use User Clip Names. You can also edit this material later after the shoot. In FCP6, you will have to use MXF4mac to access and send the metadata over to FCP.

Watch this tutorial to help you:

http://library.creativecow.net/articles/garchow_jeremy/dvc_pro_hd.php

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Gerret Warner
on Jul 29, 2009 at 11:13:07 am

Thanks, Jeremy.
If I rename them in Log & Transfer what happens if I trash my capture scratch then--at a later date--want to relink a project to the MXF files. Will the new files names relink with Panasonic's numerical names?

Thanks, especially for the MXF4Mac tip.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jul 29, 2009 at 1:41:44 pm

[Gerret Warner] "Will the new files names relink with Panasonic's numerical names?"

It's very easy. you simply load all the MXF files back in to the Log and transfer window, then in the bin select all the clips/bin you want to recapture, and then right click and choose 'Batch Capture'. The Log and Transfer window will then rewrap all the MXFs to Quicktime with the names you assigned the first time. It will be as if you never delted anything.

You can try it on a test clip to make sure you got the workflow down.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Gerret Warner
on Jul 29, 2009 at 3:32:10 pm

Brilliant. Can't believe I've lived with those anonymous numbers for so long. To be clear, though, it sounds as if the key is to assign a name in Log and Transfer rather than in FCP 6, so that FCP makes the connection between the two names in future relinking, no?

Thanks again.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jul 29, 2009 at 6:48:30 pm

[Gerret Warner] "To be clear, though, it sounds as if the key is to assign a name in Log and Transfer rather than in FCP 6, so that FCP makes the connection between the two names in future relinking, no? "

Yes, name in the log and transfer window, then add clip(s) to the queue. If you decide to rename in the FCP browser, then you right click on the clip(s) and choose Rename > File to Match Clip.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Gerret Warner
on Jul 29, 2009 at 8:32:04 pm

Very helpful.

Thanks, Jeremy

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jul 29, 2009 at 8:41:19 pm

No worries. Have fun!

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Bjoern Adamski
on Jul 30, 2009 at 9:03:43 am

Maybe consider that

1. Renaming in FCP costs you a lot of time + the conversion time. The names are saved in the FCP project file, you need FCP to recover the renamed files.

2. Setting custom P2 UserClipNames cost also a lot of time but this information can be used for ever and with all P2 compatible NLEs. You're not bounded to FCP.

3. Using native MXFs in FCP allows to save this project as XML and then the XML project information is available for other workflows, e.g. you could load it into Premiere Pro on a PC that would also read the native MXFs. Same applies with systems from Autodesk which run under Linux. With MOVs you're bounded to the Mac and FCS.

---------------------
Product Manager
MXF4mac
http://mxf4mac.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]