FORUMS: list search recent posts

Damaged/corrupted captured MOV files

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Hermanto Djonny
Damaged/corrupted captured MOV files
on Jul 26, 2009 at 1:49:27 am

One of the batch of the P2 cards we recorded using Panasonic HVX200 became damaged/corrupted. We captured the rushes from using Log and Capture on FCP. Please see the sample/printscreen of the damaged/corrupted MOV file at (http://i1.creativecow.net/u/146058/sample_damaged_file.jpg). This error appears throughout all MOV quicktime files created by FCP on that batch of P2 card. Unfortunately we didn't backup the original MXF files and we have reformated the P2 cards on-location to be used for the next shoot, doh! Any helps will be very much appreciated. Many thanks.

Return to posts index

cowcowcowcowcow
Noah Kadner
Re: Damaged/corrupted captured MOV files
on Jul 26, 2009 at 5:59:18 pm

[Hermanto Djonny] "One of the batch of the P2 cards we recorded using Panasonic HVX200 became damaged/corrupted. We captured the rushes from using Log and Capture on FCP. Please see the sample/printscreen of the damaged/corrupted MOV file at (http://i1.creativecow.net/u/146058/sample_damaged_file.jpg). This error appears throughout all MOV quicktime files created by FCP on that batch of P2 card. Unfortunately we didn't backup the original MXF files and we have reformated the P2 cards on-location to be used for the next shoot, doh! Any helps will be very much appreciated. Many thanks."

My help is really only cautionary for someone else reading this. DO NOT ERASE MXF FILES. :) Was that unclear? That's your negative. The QuickTime MOV's are just a print and easily corruptible/damaged. You can try data recovery services like DiskWarrior but they may just be gone forever.

If you had just backed up the MXFs you could try a re-ingest to QuickTime or copied back to P2 and done a clip repair in the camera, now you have very little option. So don't let it happen to you (again).

Noah

Check out my book: RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera!. Unlock the secrets of the 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio.
Now featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, and Panasonic DVX100.
http://www.callboxlive.com

Return to posts index

Hermanto Djonny
on Jul 27, 2009 at 12:18:36 am

Hey Noah,
Many thanks for the input. I know, that's my biggest regrets trusting the ass DoP to do the capturing and backup. Due to time constraints at that time during on-location filming, we didn't double backup that batch of P2 card. Lesson learned!!! We are now always backing up the MXF files and testing them first before reformat the P2 cards.

BTW, just curious, do you know what is the technical terms for that error on that MOV files?

Best,
Djonny

Return to posts index

cowcowcowcowcow
Shane Ross
on Jul 27, 2009 at 5:51:30 am

[Hermanto Djonny] "ue to time constraints at that time during on-location filming, we didn't double backup that batch of P2 card. "

You didn't do ANY backup of that card. Instead of importing into FCP on location...which you SHOULDN'T do...instead backup the cards on location. Get Shotput P2 and automate the process and have it verify the offload. Or be risky and just drag and drop on the Finder....or use P2CMS to do it. But that is what you need to do. Import into FCP when you are back at the office.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Djonny Chen
on Jul 29, 2009 at 2:38:31 pm

Hey Shane, many thanks for the input. I was coming late to take over, so damaged had been done:) I am new to P2 workflow so really appreciate your suggestion, especially using the Shotput P2 and P2CMS. I had been using drag and drop so far, but do some random testing of the files before deleting the cards. Thanks!!

Return to posts index

cowcowcowcowcow
Tom Chartrand
on Jul 29, 2009 at 5:36:29 pm

Djonny,

Seriously look into ShotPutPro. It's quick, it verifies and you have peace of mind. Been using it for a long, long time!

http://www.imagineproducts.com

Return to posts index

Djonny Chen
on Jul 29, 2009 at 9:38:51 pm

Hi Tom, many thanks for the info about this software, will get one now. It's a lot better than drag and drop which is risky; luckily so far so good. Thx.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Jul 27, 2009 at 2:31:34 am

Oh ouch- that could be anything but basically it's corrupted data. Probably easily fixable with the MXFs but not much option now...

Noah

Check out my book: RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera!. Unlock the secrets of the 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio.
Now featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, and Panasonic DVX100.
http://www.callboxlive.com

Return to posts index

Djonny Chen
on Jul 29, 2009 at 2:41:03 pm

Thanks Noah, we have just reshooted those scenes again, doh!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]