FORUMS: list search recent posts

difference of P2 card and P2 E-series

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tony Brave
difference of P2 card and P2 E-series
on Jul 23, 2009 at 10:43:05 pm

I just got my HPX170. It came with a 16gig P2 E-series card. What is the difference between my 32g P2 cards and E-series. Beside the price of them

Return to posts index

Helmut Kobler
Re: difference of P2 card and P2 E-series
on Jul 24, 2009 at 1:44:24 am

The E series cards use a faster kind of memory, so data can be loaded off the card faster than a non E series card. I believe the e series cards are capable of about 1.2 gbps, whereas the non E series cards are capable of between 600 - 800mbps.

Of course, you need a fast enough card reader to take advantage of the E series\' faster speed. If you use a slow usb2 or Firewire connection, you shouldnt see any speed gains. But if you use a faster connection, like the Pci cable of the pcd35 5 card reader, you\'ll get faster offload times.

Finally, panasonic announced the Avc Ultra codec, which is not shipping in any product yet, but which will probably require the faster e series cards.

Return to posts index

Jan Crittenden Livingston
on Jul 24, 2009 at 1:26:52 pm

Hi,

The E series card is based on Multi-Level Cell Memory and thus also has fewer rewrites. Its end of life would be if you filled it every day and reformated you would have expended the memory in 5 years. In general by the time you have expended the card you will probably want a bigger card.

It is true that the MLCM is faster than the Single Level Cell Memory and so more speed can be gained if there isn't anything in the way, like a slower interface.

As far as AVC-Ultra,it can write to any of the P2 cards we have brought to the market including the 4 GB cards. We designed them so that there was a future in them, it is why we didn't choose any other recording device. We wanted the ability to write any of our formats to the card.

Best,

Jan

Jan Crittenden Livingston
Product Manager, HPX500, HPX300, HPX170, HVX200A
Panasonic Broadcast & TV Systems

Return to posts index

Jeff Regan
on Jul 26, 2009 at 1:18:08 am

Jan,

You posted "AVC Ultra", I'm sure you meant AVC Intra. AVC Ultra is the new codec that Panasonic is developoing that is 12 bit, 4:4:4 at 4K resolution, right? ;)

Jeff Regan
Shooting Star Video
http://www.ssv.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]