FORUMS: list search recent posts

P2 Card partial clips glitch... or time travel?

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Andy Dykstra
P2 Card partial clips glitch... or time travel?
on Jul 23, 2009 at 5:55:01 pm

So I'm either having a strange glitch with my P2 cards or have unintentionally figured out time travel. For the second time now one of the clips from our shoot has been missing a large chunk of footage from the middle. We record with both a 200 and 500 camera, and this has happened with both now. The file imports fine, plays fine, but is missing a large chunk from the middle, basically like it jumped through time about ten minutes.
We sometimes use a P2-store if our 4 cards get full during shooting. Unfortunately we haven't been able to track it to a certain card or if the P2-store was used both times.

Has this happened to anyone else? Is there a way to test the P2 cards?

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: P2 Card partial clips glitch... or time travel?
on Jul 23, 2009 at 6:07:06 pm

Was it a long take? Is it possible it's from a spanned shot and you are missing one of the cards used in the span?

Noah

Check out my book: RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera!. Unlock the secrets of the 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio.
Now featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, and Panasonic DVX100.
http://www.callboxlive.com

Return to posts index

Andy Dykstra
on Jul 23, 2009 at 6:54:12 pm

It was a long take, but the card was empty and the take was much less than the 34 minutes we get from each card. The weird part is the .mov file has the first 5 minutes, and cuts straight to the last 5 minutes in 1 file- it's not split into 2 .mov files and the Final Cut import didn't show it as spanned.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Jul 23, 2009 at 9:35:53 pm

Have you tried fixing the clip in the camera? What happens when you open it with P2 CMS?

Noah

Check out my book: RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera!. Unlock the secrets of the 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio.

Return to posts index

Andy Dykstra
on Jul 23, 2009 at 11:00:30 pm

Unfortunately we fill our cards at least twice a day so by the time we realized we had a problem in Final Cut, it was too late.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Jul 24, 2009 at 3:54:50 am

Do you save the contents of the P2 cards onto the hard drive? As long as you copy all files over you can easily copy them back onto a P2 card and try repair clip. If you don't, well now's a good time to start.

Noah

Return to posts index

Andy Dykstra
on Jul 24, 2009 at 12:35:11 pm

Thanks. We will definitely be rethinking our process to be safer with the clips in the future. After some research and testing we think we know what happened, just not why. Since the P2 cards and the P2-store use the FAT file system, larger clips have to be broken every 3.7 gigs or so, and when we transfered to the P2-store and then to the computer, one or two of those chunks must have been missing and the beginning chunk and end chunk were combined without the middle.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Jul 26, 2009 at 6:02:14 pm

That is correct- they are spanned because of FAT. Which is why you need to be very careful, especially with things like the Firestore. Careful notes, metadata naming conventions, etc. I cover extensive stuff like this, even how to preload metadata in the camera before you shoot to avoid these issues entirely on our HVX200 course:

http://callboxlive.com/products/panasonic-p2-workflow-with-final-cut-pro-an...

Noah

Return to posts index

Ian Liuzzi-Fedun
on Dec 4, 2009 at 5:58:14 am

I know this post is a tad old, although I hope you folks can still help me. I just shot some parts of a movie and for the first time, we had a file break that 4 gig barrier so it lists it as spanned when in the log and transfer window in FCP. We are using a HVX200 with a 16gb card. There is only ONE card. For some reason the computer will play back the video just fine when previewing it from the camera and even the camera will play it back fine but after importing it, the full video length is there, however 3/4 of the file is BLACK. I have tried multiple times. Please help

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jul 27, 2009 at 8:32:38 pm

[Andy Dykstra] "one or two of those chunks must have been missing and the beginning chunk and end chunk were combined without the middle"

I think that's close to impossible as you'd have to rewrite the spanned info, and that's not exactly an easy task. Do you have the CLIP files still in tact from all the clips?

Return to posts index

nick Kasimatis
on Nov 16, 2009 at 11:40:41 pm

Hi Noah,

I'm having trouble with one clip that I shot on my HVX recently. The file was recorded on a firestore and plays back properly in the preview window. I've tried to repair the clip but t changes the frame rate to 59.94 and then allows me to import it.

I've been reading through the threads and thought I could copy the media onto a p2 and try to repair the clip within the camera and/or import it directly.

You mention it's easy to transfer the files but the media won't transfer.
An suggestions?

Thanks for reading!

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Nov 17, 2009 at 4:39:23 pm

[nick Kasimatis] "I'm having trouble with one clip that I shot on my HVX recently."

What kind of trouble?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]