FORUMS: list search recent posts

Firmware update problems

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dave Gal
Firmware update problems
on Jul 21, 2009 at 3:37:42 pm

Hey everyone,

I'm trying to update the firmware to my HPX-170 to unlock the full features of the new E-series P2 cards, but I'm stuck on the dumbest part of the process.

- I have the update downloaded to my mac pro (OSX 10.5).
- I formatted an 8GB SDHC card in the HPX to keep it happy.

I just can't get the SD card to mount on my mac so I can transfer the firmware update folder onto it!

I can't get it to show up when it's in a card reader that I have used hundreds of times, and I can't get it to show up while it's inserted into the HPX in PC mode (although I didn't think this would work anyways).

I even tried to take a still photo with the remote, hoping that just having a single photo on there would make the card open up in iPhoto at least, but for what ever reason, I can't even take a still photo (battery is good...is there a setting I have to tweak somewhere?)

If anyone has any ideas on how to get this stupid stumbling block outta my way, I'm listening.

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
Re: Firmware update problems
on Jul 21, 2009 at 6:04:59 pm

Did you read the release notes? You need OS 10.4 or before to unzip the software. You can not unzip it with OS 10.5.

https://eww.pavc.panasonic.co.jp/pro-av/support/cs/csregistp2m/ep2main/soft...

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Board of Directors
Chicago Final Cut Pro Users Group

Return to posts index

Dave Gal
UPDATE: HPX firmware problems
on Jul 21, 2009 at 6:12:19 pm

UPDATE:

So, using a coworker's laptop that had an SD card slot in it, I was able to copy the "PRIVATE" folder onto the SD card that was formatted in my HPX, but now the problem is that when I switch to MCR mode and try to go to OPERATION >>> UPDATE, the word UPDATE is not in sight.

What gives?

Return to posts index

John Fishback
Re: UPDATE: HPX firmware problems
on Jul 21, 2009 at 6:33:08 pm

What Steve said. Checkout the link.

John

MacPro 8-core 2.8GHz 8 GB RAM OS 10.5.5 QT7.5.5 Kona 3 Dual Cinema 23 ATI Radeon HD 3870, 24" TV-Logic Monitor
ATTO ExpressSAS R380 RAID Adapter, PDE Enclosure with 8-drive 6TB RAID 5

Final Cut Studio 2 (up to date)

Pro Tools HD w SYNC IO, Yamaha DM1000, Millennia Media HV-3C, Neumann U87, Schoeps Mk41 mics, Genelec Monitors, PrimaLT ISDN

Return to posts index

Matt Gerard
on Jul 21, 2009 at 6:48:45 pm

Either the folder structure didn't stay the same or something got bunged in the copy. I ended up using my PC to download unzip and transfer the update, I just couldn't get it to work. This happened with the last update as well (which was during the 10.4 times as well) on my mac. I had to copy the folder about 4 times before it showed up in the camera. The mac writes invisible files to any write enabled drive that is mounted to the system. you can see these files if you then go and mount it on a PC.

In this case, bend to the bidding of windblows and use the stinkin PC to do the transfer. I admit I'm a windows-phobe but there are some things you need them for.

Matt

Its more fun to ride a slow motorcycle fast than a fast motorcycle slow...

Return to posts index

Dave Gal
on Jul 21, 2009 at 8:46:32 pm

Seems like using Stuffit Expander instead of letting Leopard unzip the files did it. Even though before I cross-checked the folder-tree of the update with the hierarchy displayed in Panasonic's update manual, it still didn't work before.

Seems to be happily churning away in the camera now though.

Thanks everyone!

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
on Jul 22, 2009 at 12:37:47 am

Leopard (OS 10.5) cannot unzip the file.

I downloaded both the Firmware updates for my HPX500 and HPX170 from my G5 which still has 10.4 on it. Both cameras updated with no problems.

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Board of Directors

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
on Jul 22, 2009 at 12:39:14 am

Bring on the 64 GB E series! Could be anytime between next week and the end of August.

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Board of Directors

Return to posts index

Sam Clemans
Re: Firmware update problems
on Jul 22, 2009 at 7:46:18 am

I was able to update the firmware on my HPX 300 by formating the SD card in the camera and then downloading the update to a PC and transferring the file to the card on the PC. One thing I almost missed was to take the file's out of the root folder and starting with the 'Private' folder transfer that to the SD card, so be careful that the 'Private' folder is at the top of the structure and not the VSI*****.img folder

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]