FORUMS: list search recent posts

Unable to import P2 footage with Mac OS 10.5.7 and Duel Adaptor

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Scott Ippolito
Unable to import P2 footage with Mac OS 10.5.7 and Duel Adaptor
on Jul 20, 2009 at 7:24:06 am

Hello,

I am working on a documentary in Rwanda with a Sony EX1 and a Panasonic HVX200. I've worked with the HVX extensively and never had any real issues with P2 ingestion. We were able to import the first two cards using our Duel Adaptor although the whole setup seemed a little more temperamental then usual. Unfortunately, now we are unable to get the Laptop to even recognize the Duel Adaptor.

Our computer setup is a new MacBook Pro Intel Core 2 Duo with 4 Gigs of RAM and Mac OS 10.5.7

As I said, the really strange thing is that we were able to offload the first two P2 cards, but then it all went south. The computer doesn't even recognize the Duel Adaptor anymore.

Here is what we have tried so far.

1. Uninstalled SxS drivers.
2. Installed latest P2 Drivers.
3. Removed 2 gigs of RAM from laptop.
4. We have 2 Duel Adaptors and have tried both.

Currently, we are using the camera to offload the cards via USB. However, this has been a really bad compromise given our subject matter. We are shooting reconciliation meetings between perpetrators and victims of the '94 genocide. These meeting are charged with emotion and can go on for hours. Being forced to use the HVX as a $5000 P2 transfer device is causing us to miss a lot of important stuff.

I've sent a query to Jan Crittenden at Panasonic and the folks at Duel Adaptor. Does anyone else have any thoughts.

Scott

Return to posts index

Dave Neyman
Re: Unable to import P2 footage with Mac OS 10.5.7 and Duel Adaptor
on Jul 20, 2009 at 3:32:08 pm

Do you have another Duel Adapter to try? They are a little quirky and after a while do wear out. If it is brand new I would guess it is something else but if you have had it for a while it just might be time to replace it. I went through the exact same thing and it turned that the adapter just went bad.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jul 20, 2009 at 4:42:11 pm

What else do you have hooked up? Have you tried restarting the machine with the card attached?

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
on Jul 20, 2009 at 5:32:10 pm

I would second what Jeremy says. You do need to restart your computer each time the Duel Adapter is taken out of the Express 34 slot.

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Board of Directors
Chicago Final Cut Pro Users Group

Return to posts index

Scott Ippolito
on Jul 20, 2009 at 7:04:21 pm

We have two adaptors. One is older and one is new and bought for this trip. We've gone through every permutation we can think of as far as restarting computer with adaptor in, restarting and then putting the adaptor in.

Is it possible that the 220 voltage down here went through the computer and fried our adaptors? Is there anything fryable inside the adaptor?

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jul 20, 2009 at 8:12:23 pm

I highly doubt it, interesting theory though.

With everything unplugged from your mac (except power) have you repaired permissions and zapped PRAM?

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
on Jul 21, 2009 at 1:51:50 am

A/B switch on the adapter.

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Board of Directors
Chicago Final Cut Pro Users Group

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved