FORUMS: list search recent posts

When is the best time to buy??

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Andy Bis
When is the best time to buy??
on Jul 17, 2009 at 2:38:16 am

So I am pretty set on the HPX-170. My only question is, When is the best time to buy a camera? Currently B&H has it for $4,799.95 + a $500 rebate; that is $4299. The rebate goes on until Sep 31 I believe. I won't have the money until early September to buy though.

Does Panasonic or camera companies in general have their biggest sales after thanksgiving/before xmas? Should I risk missing out on the $500 rebate to see if it goes on sale for XMAS?

Also, does anyone know if Panasonic (or any other company) is planning on releasing something better within the HPX's price range? When do you think the next Panasonic in this range will come out?

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
Re: When is the best time to buy??
on Jul 17, 2009 at 3:00:13 am

Best time to buy is at a trade show. B&H, Sammys and EVS always have great deals on equipment. You usually save at least $200. You will also get your $500 rebate. DV Expo is in September in Pasadena, CA.

If you can't make it to DV Expo, WEVA (Wedding and Event Videographers) Expo is the week before in Orlando.

The Pro market does not have Xmas sales like the Consumer market.

NAB (April) is usually when new products are announced.

Only Panasonic knows if something is in development. Panasonic has a solid line of cameras in all the price ranges. AVCHD and P2. The only thing I could think of that Panasonic would come out with is a CMOS 1/3" native 1920 x 1080 in the HPX-170 body. It would shoot DV, DVCPro HD and AVC-I 50 and 100 to P2 cards.

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Board of Directors
Chicago Final Cut Pro Users Group

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jul 17, 2009 at 4:38:23 pm

Best time to buy is when you need it.

Return to posts index

Michael Shugrue