FORUMS: list search recent posts

P2-FCP-HD Import Weirdness

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nate Stephens
P2-FCP-HD Import Weirdness
on Jul 14, 2009 at 6:26:35 pm

Hey folks, I decided to try to mix -n- match my new E-series P2 with my older R-series P2 in my HPX500 to test for P2 problems. 3x32GB and one 16GB P2 later (2-E series P2 32GB) or just over 4 hours later I have four hours of the clock ticking..

I have successfully imported P2 before via Duel Adapter FCP 5.1.4 on my MacPro 10.5. Laptop before. No problems.. This time different.

Using FCp P2 import viewer I would select all four P2 content folders (last clip file is there too) add to queue and it would start importing. Walk away come back later and it would look like it was done but no video in the FCP browser and the status indictor on the P2 viewer would say 'No data"

So instead of trying to import all 4 spanned folders, just try one. So I select one, all the 9 minute subfiles show up in the P2 Import viewer add to queue and it starts importing. Walk away, come back 3 new entrys in the FCP Browser great, but what about the other five files selected. Everything stopped importing. Status says "No data" But the files that do show up in the viewer play just fine showing the clock ticking away..

All P2 cards where formated in the HPX500 before shooting the clock.. Never had a problem importing before.. The P2 card that almost imported (3 of 8 files) is the original R series P2 card..

Any solutions??

FCP, Mac Pro, Mac Book Pro, HPX500, HVX200, Betacam, Dvcam
Write for the Edit, Shoot for the Edit, Edit.....KISS Principle

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: P2-FCP-HD Import Weirdness
on Jul 15, 2009 at 4:20:19 pm

Hola, Nate.

What happens if you transfer the footage to a hard drive and not import directly from the Duel Adapter?

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Nate Stephens
on Jul 15, 2009 at 4:53:36 pm

My Bad,

That is what I did.. I grab the contents and last clip file from the P2 Card and dragged them to the attached Mirrored firewire drives.

The video clips (spanned (9.8 minutes long) all show up in the Import viewer and play in the viewer..

They just get hung up importing into FCP.. with the status error "No Data"

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jul 15, 2009 at 5:27:45 pm

Do you have fxfactory, or perian installed?

What are the names of your folders and drive? Anything with weird characters? Should only be numbers, letters and underscores.

Return to posts index

Nate Stephens
on Jul 15, 2009 at 10:15:54 pm

Yep, Perian was installed... And testing is back under way.

Perian in the system preferences has an uninstall switch that did not seem to un-install all the pieces needed.

So, I pulled Perian out of the downloads folder, the Library> Preferences and the Library>Pref Panes.

Rebooted and now we test again.. This trouble did not happen last January when I did a job with the same workflow.. So I hope it was this Spring that I installed Perian on the lap top and not another oops.

I'll keep you posted Jeremy, Thanks for the reply...

Let me Lobby Mrs-n-Mr Cow Farmer to add a line/url to there P2 Header for known issues.. I had thought Shane was working on a list. Did it ever publish?

Many Moos to Jeremy

Return to posts index

Nate Stephens
Not fixed: P2-FCP-HD Import Weirdness
on Jul 16, 2009 at 1:41:46 pm

Well Jeremy, I did remove perian.. And it started to look like that was the answer, but no.

It tends to import a few more clips or none at all.. The clips all play in the P2 viewer.

I left the lap top on all night with Raylight fired up. Will see if Raylight did some magic after breakfast.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: Not fixed: P2-FCP-HD Import Weirdness
on Jul 16, 2009 at 2:55:51 pm

How is your scratch drive formatted?

Return to posts index

Nate Stephens
on Jul 16, 2009 at 4:00:16 pm

Scratch Drive? hmm..

The P2 card files are on 2.5 Mirrored Firewire drives and the scratch drive is a 1.5TB eSata plugged into an Addonics express port sata converter.. My original use for the esata drive is to back up this summers project, not this test,, so I would assume that it is formated as "Journaled".

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jul 16, 2009 at 4:06:14 pm

Yes, Mac OS Extended is what I am looking for, and not fat 32. Most likely if you mirrored it, it's going to be OS Extended, but as a test, tell me the file size of the successful Quicktime imports.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Nate Stephens
on Jul 16, 2009 at 7:20:46 pm

Thanks Jeremy,,

The P2card files are on the mirrored drives. I have the FCP Scratch drive on the Sata drive via express card adaptor. The scratch drive Sata is a dual sata plug in device that looks like a toaster made by Vantec called NextStar. The only thing different in the workflow from the last time besides the new E-series P2 cards is the NextStar. It would be discouraging if the sata NextStar is the problem because it is a great Hard Drive device for quickly removing and adding sata hard drives.

All Hard drives are formatted as Mac OS extended-Journaled.

The successful FCP imported clip sizes are 4.2GB or 9:54 minutes @ 720/30p

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jul 16, 2009 at 7:52:42 pm

[Nate Stephens] "The successful FCP imported clip sizes are 4.2GB or 9:54 minutes @ 720/30p "

OK, this is good proof.

What kind of SATA card do you have? Do oyu have the internal hard drive space to see if it comes in there?

If you move this to your MacPro, can you do it there?

Need to start eliminating some variables.

Just so I have it straight, the mirrored drive and the NextStar are the same thing, correct? So the footage and your scratch drive are on that same SATA raid?

Return to posts index

Nate Stephens
on Jul 16, 2009 at 10:51:18 pm

"Just so I have it straight, the mirrored drive and the NextStar are the same thing, correct? So the footage and your scratch drive are on that same SATA raid?"

No,, The mirrored 2.5" Firewire drive with the P2 card files is not the sata dual drive Next Star.

I was thinking about trying another drive besides the esata. I will move the P2 card files/mirrored drive to the 8 core Desktop just after I finish tweaking some keys on another project, tomorrow.

But it would be nice to understand the lap top problem.

thanks

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jul 17, 2009 at 3:19:32 pm

[Nate Stephens] "No,, The mirrored 2.5" Firewire drive with the P2 card files is not the sata dual drive Next Star. "

OK. Soryr about the confusion. As a test, set your capture scratch folder to the mirrored array and try the import again.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Nate Stephens
on Jul 18, 2009 at 5:54:59 pm

As suggested, I set the scratch drive to the mirrored drives with the original P2 card files.

I have 4 P2 card files with Last text file in individual folders. Imported in to FCP P2 viewer all four folders show up as spanned (which they are).. It started to import them, looked fine,,, came back later,, notta, nothin imported. Status said NO Data..

Odd very odd..

Raylight converted all MXF files to quicktime on the mirrored drive tho..

weird..

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jul 20, 2009 at 3:34:24 pm

I remembered this:

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS2575

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Nate Stephens
Bingo: P2-FCP-HD Import Weirdness
on Jul 20, 2009 at 11:35:20 pm

Thanks Jeremy, you hit it on the head. All 4 hours plus imported as one large file,, cool..

But the coolest thing is, now I know it is not the new sata enclosure, Nexstar, by Vantec.. it is a really cool non-enclosure.. No screws, no extra hardware, just plug your sata hard drives in like the old 8-track audio carts.

Shane has mentioned that wheel before and that little check box, but I don't think it was in regards to the HPX500..

Thank you very much for the pointer.. The video was 720/30 so it does not have to be 24P to muck things up..

nate

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: Bingo: P2-FCP-HD Import Weirdness
on Jul 21, 2009 at 1:29:45 am

[Nate Stephens] "Shane has mentioned that wheel before and that little check box, but I don't think it was in regards to the HPX500.. "

Oh yeah? Wonder where he got that idea? ;-D

http://forums.creativecow.net/readpost/193/864136

(Sorry, Shane, couldn't resist).

Return to posts index

Nate Stephens
on Jul 21, 2009 at 2:46:34 am

Damn Jeremy, The date on that Shane post was March 07...over two years ago.... Good thing you don't hold grudges..

I appreciate the sharp memory and the help..... thanks

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jul 21, 2009 at 2:33:24 pm

[Nate Stephens] "Good thing you don't hold grudges.. "

:)

[Nate Stephens] "I appreciate the sharp memory and the help..... thanks "

No worries at all. Sorry it took me so long to remember.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]