FORUMS: list search recent posts

P2 onto a Macbook Pro

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Anthony Willis
P2 onto a Macbook Pro
on Jun 30, 2009 at 12:11:56 pm

Hey all,

So tell me, what is the latest and cheapest approach to getting the P2 cards onto a Macbook Pro?

Are you all buying one standard Cardbus to PCI Express converter?

Thanks,

Anthony

Return to posts index

John Fishback
Re: P2 onto a Macbook Pro
on Jun 30, 2009 at 1:39:16 pm

We use the Duel Adaptor. There have been reports of failures so we have 2 in our kit just in case. We've had no problems in over 2 years. We are very careful with the adaptor. We don't let it hang by its cable over the edge of a work space and pack it carefully.

John

MacPro 8-core 2.8GHz 8 GB RAM OS 10.5.5 QT7.5.5 Kona 3 Dual Cinema 23 ATI Radeon HD 3870, 24" TV-Logic Monitor
ATTO ExpressSAS R380 RAID Adapter, PDE Enclosure with 8-drive 6TB RAID 5

Final Cut Studio 2 (up to date)

Pro Tools HD w SYNC IO, Yamaha DM1000, Millennia Media HV-3C, Neumann U87, Schoeps Mk41 mics, Genelec Monitors, PrimaLT ISDN

Return to posts index

Anthony Willis
on Jun 30, 2009 at 1:45:58 pm

Hey John,

Thanks very much. I thought that might be the one, but I'd been concerned by misleading earlier posts. I shall order one asap.

Cheers,

Anthony

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Jun 30, 2009 at 3:45:24 pm

I wouldn't exactly call Duel Adaptor problem posts misleading. It's the cheapest option for P2 transfer out there but their drivers and tech support are dreadful. So go into it with eyes open. It will either work as promised or be a total nightmare.

Noah

Writing RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera!. Unlock the secrets of the DVX100, HVX200 and Apple Color.
Now featuring the Lens Adapter Guidebook, Sony EX1 Guidebook,
DVD Studio Pro and How to Light Interviews.
http://www.callboxlive.com

Return to posts index

Dave Neyman
on Jul 1, 2009 at 4:03:36 am

The Duel can be a little quirky but it is the cheapest option. I was a hardcore believer that they were durable as well but just had my first one go bad. I ordered another one because I can't figure out a cheaper way to ingest. Follow John's advice on the care.

Return to posts index

Tim Baker
on Jul 2, 2009 at 1:24:39 pm

I too have had one "Dual Adapter" for over a year now and had no issues, however, a buddy of mine has had two bad out of the box, but manufacturer fired him right back replacements that did work.

Like said above...baby them...I actually pack mine in a rubbermaid bowl with a sealable lid, foam filled for any kind of transport.

One issue...that is not that big of a deal...is anytime you pop the adapter out of the Express Card slot and want to remount for ingest you will have to restart the computer to get it to mount. Or that has been my experience. Not really a hot-swap item.

Good luck...I have great luck with mine.

Tim Baker

Chameleon Mobile Video Productions

(239)849-3295

"It is not the light at the end of the tunnel that we should seek...it is the courage to take the next step in the dark that we must find."

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]