FORUMS: list search recent posts

P2 card hp hdx16 can't see it

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dan Sawyer
P2 card hp hdx16 can't see it
on Jun 26, 2009 at 9:16:02 pm

I upgraded my laptop to a new HP HDX 16. Loaded the p2 drivers and everything works fine with the exception of the fact that it can't see the P2 card.

The computer is running vista home premium 64 and I'm using an addonics card bus to pcexpress adapter. The computer sees the adapter and loads the drivers for it with no problem. When you insert the the P2 card in the adapter the computer searches for the right drivers but can't find them.

I've loaded the latest 64 bit drivers and the computer works fine with the HVX 200 and the Hpx500 through the usb port.

I've talked with Panny tech support and was told to run the driver install with the adapter and P2 card inserted. Still doesn't work. Waiting on a call back from them but thought I'd follow up here also.

My first thought is that the problem is the vista 64. I may need to downgrade to XP Pro.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Dan Sawyer
View Public Profile
Send a private message to Dan Sawyer
Find More Posts by Dan Sawyer
Add Dan Sawyer to Your Contacts

Return to posts index

John Fishback
Re: P2 card hp hdx16 can't see it
on Jun 28, 2009 at 4:56:36 pm

I'm not familiar with the Addonics. Is it advertised as working with P2 cards? There may be an Addonics driver needed for P2. We're on the Mac side of things, but use a similar process. A Duel Adaptor plugs to the Express Card slot of our MacBook Pro and reads P2 cards. Until the latest Mac OS (Leopard), the card required its own driver in addition to the P2 drivers.

John

MacPro 8-core 2.8GHz 8 GB RAM OS 10.5.5 QT7.5.5 Kona 3 Dual Cinema 23 ATI Radeon HD 3870
ATTO ExpressSAS R380 RAID Adapter, PDE Enclosure with 8-drive 6TB RAID 5
24" TV-Logic Monitor
Final Cut Studio 2 (up to date)

Pro Tools HD w SYNC IO, Yamaha DM1000, Millennia Media HV-3C, Neumann U87, Schoeps Mk41 mics, Genelec Monitors, PrimaLT ISDN

Return to posts index

Dan Sawyer
on Jun 28, 2009 at 5:46:52 pm

The adapter card works fine and we have now gotten the HDX 16 to recognize the P2 A cards with no problem. There is a definite problem with the 16gb E card that we have. The computer can see it fine through USB to the camera but it only works intermittently through the express card port. Not sure if this is a problem with the card or with Vista 64. Since the 8gb cards work fine with it I'm thinking the problem lies with the card.

Return to posts index

John Fishback
on Jun 28, 2009 at 6:15:32 pm

The problem may be related to a needed camera software update. Here's a recent post re problems capturing with E cards. Read to the bottom as there's an update that's been posted by Panny for some of their cameras (with more to come).
http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/193/876147#876166

John

MacPro 8-core 2.8GHz 8 GB RAM OS 10.5.5 QT7.5.5 Kona 3 Dual Cinema 23 ATI Radeon HD 3870
24" TV-Logic Monitor

Pro Tools HD w SYNC IO, Yamaha DM1000, Millennia Media HV-3C, Neumann U87, Schoeps Mk41 mics, Genelec Monitors, PrimaLT ISDN

Return to posts index

Dan Sawyer
on Jun 28, 2009 at 7:12:59 pm

Upgraded the HVX, upgrade for HPX not out yet. Don't think that's the problem as the camera is out of the loop at that point. Just the card and the computer.

Return to posts index

John Fishback
on Jun 28, 2009 at 7:42:59 pm

I thought the same, but I believe if an E card was recorded with the old firmware, it won't offload properly. I think this is why the A card works and the E card doesn't.

John

24" TV-Logic Monitor

Return to posts index

Dan Sawyer
on Jun 28, 2009 at 9:46:31 pm

So by this logic if I record video to the E card on my hvx which has the latest operating system, uninstall the P2 drivers and reinstall using the HVX with the E card it should work? I'll certainly give it a try. Nothing to lose.

Return to posts index

Dan Sawyer
on Jun 29, 2009 at 1:31:28 am

John gave reinstalling the drivers with the E card in the camera after it had been updated. Still no go. The A cards work everytime but it just won't recognize the E card. Anybody else have a thought?

Return to posts index

Sal McLouf
on Jun 28, 2009 at 7:49:00 pm

I am having the some problem on a Sony Vaio running Vista 64. The problem actually starts when installing the drivers. At no point does the Setup program give me the option of installing drivers for the Cardbus/PCMCIA slot, even when the computer itself recognizes the bridge for the Express slot to PCMCIA slot adapter. On past machines, I had the option of checking to install the cardbus drivers and was asked to insert the P2 card into each slot I wanted to use. At no point during installation of the drivers did I have that option or was asked to insert the P2 cards. The only drivers available in the Setup program are for reading via USB, 1394 or PCIe.

Return to posts index

Dan Sawyer
on Jun 28, 2009 at 9:49:49 pm

Sal.

this is exactly the problem I was having. I discovered that you can direct the install to a specific location where the P2 drivers are using vista 64. At the last screen where it says to insert the disc for your hardware there is a second option. I can't remember how it was worded by since I'm about to reload it again I'll post the process if it works.

Return to posts index

Sal McLouf
on Jun 28, 2009 at 10:15:45 pm

Yes! I finally got it to work... Thanks Dan.

I ran the automated "Found New Hardware" setup by inserting the card via the adapter. I checked through the options until I could "point" to a folder on my harddrive. Since I had already run the Panasonic setup, I had the P2 viewer and drivers in the Program folders. I pointed the "Found New Hardware" setup to the "Drivers" folder. Vista set up to work perfectly. Now I can read off the P2 Card (a 32GB R Series) like any plug-in flash drive.

For some reason, the Panasonic setup was not giving me this option when I ran their program.

But its good to know that P2 cards can be read on Vista 64 bit, using a Cardbus Adapter ( I have a Rosewill I bought off newegg.com for about 60 bucks).

Return to posts index

Dan Sawyer
on Jun 29, 2009 at 1:28:51 am

Sal,

Glad it worked out. I just bought a new HP HDX16 to use with our system. I almost had a heart attack when I thought we were' not going to be able to load the P2 through the express card slot with an adapter. Vista is just different enough to through you those kind of curvew when you've been using XP pro

Return to posts index

Chip Rutan
on Aug 21, 2009 at 3:54:38 am

Dan,

I have been following your "story" and I myself have just purchased an HDX laptop. This version has PCMCIA and Express slot. I have 64 Vista. I have not attempted anything as of now, but need to run a test on a P2 card for a shoot we have. We will be using the HPX-2000 camera. I did try the card on my old HP laptop running XP and it didn't work with the PCMCIA slot. I just installed the 32-bit drivers, re-booted and put the card in. I tried checking the top box and once in checking nothing. Can you give me advice on what I should do? I have a 16GB "A" series card that they shot some footage on.

Chip

Return to posts index

Dan Sawyer
on Aug 21, 2009 at 11:43:42 am

Chip,

At this point we are still downloading the 16 gig E card via usb from the camera. Our 8 gig A cards work fine with the adapter in the express port. Sorry, wish I could be more help.

Dan

Return to posts index

Chip Rutan
on Aug 23, 2009 at 8:47:11 pm

Would it hurt to try to install the drivers and try to use the PCMCIA slot and the 16GB "A" type card? I know installing drivers can screw things up and I need this to work on the set. BTW, how long does it take to download a full 16GB card to the laptop?

Chip

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]