FORUMS: list search recent posts

Whats your workflow?

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kyle Traynor
Whats your workflow?
on Jun 23, 2009 at 5:37:51 pm

Alright, I have been searching the Cow for a few days now looking for some answers to my HVX questions and getting mixed results. I understand that some of what I will ask is opinion based but im mainly looking for someone to verify a few things for me.

I will be helping shoot a short film that will need to be delivered at 29.97 on DV Tape.

I will be shooting HD (would like to shoot 1080 but that depends on my questions below)

There is a lot of talk about 24fps look and how to achieve it or if it is even necessary. I am not so attached to the idea (and have heard arguments in both directions on the Cow) but I wouldnt mind delving into some 24 action.

Being that I will deliver in 29.97 what is the best way to get the 24fps look w/ out using any outside hardware ie Kona....

I did some test shooting 720 24p, which im told records at 29.97 but the footage im getting has a real video look to it. Am I doing something wrong?

Also the footage I tested at 1080i 24p was interlaced and looked terrible. Does 1080i 24p record at 29.97 like 720 does? (FCP set it this way automatically and it just looked awful)

I think part of the reason my footage looked so bad was due to incorrect shutter speed but as I have been trying to trouble shoot I wanted to attempt to verify what I could.

So to sum up,
I want to try and achieve this 24fps look, so whats your workflow?

Is their a way to shoot 1080, get the 24 look but record at 29.97? If so what are the steps when pulling into FCP (pulldown removal or not, sequence settings)?

Sorry for the repetitive post but I know a lot of people have already been through this and I want to get their thoughts directly.

Any other insight on 24fps vs 29.97 24p vs 30p....ect ect or if you just want to rant at me for asking a question that has already been asked a hundred times, feel free.

Thanks everybody!

Kyle Traynor
Post Production Artist
traynor.edit@gmail.com

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: Whats your workflow?
on Jun 23, 2009 at 5:57:10 pm

You want to get 24p media and deliver to DV tape? Why not just shoot 720p24N and be done with it?

Return to posts index

Kyle Traynor
on Jun 23, 2009 at 7:59:08 pm

Hey Jeremy,
So as I understand it, 720 24N would give me 23.98fps, Ill obviously cut in 23.98 and the pulldown will be added on the print to tape?

Kyle Traynor
Post Production Artist
traynor.edit@gmail.com

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jun 23, 2009 at 8:24:54 pm

[Kyle Traynor] "Ill obviously cut in 23.98 and the pulldown will be added on the print to tape? "

Yes sir. Kona cards add 3:2 pulldown properly to tape.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Kyle Traynor
on Jun 23, 2009 at 10:01:34 pm

Unfortunately im working this one with out a Kona (or equivalent). This is pushing me toward using 24p so the pull down is added automatically. What do you think? Any issues I should look out for if im taking this route?

Kyle Traynor
Post Production Artist
traynor.edit@gmail.com

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jun 24, 2009 at 1:48:00 am

You have a couple of options really.

One of them is to edit as shot, then export a self contained movie and output a dub house that could handle the downconversion for you.
The next would be to edit as shot, then bounce your movie out to Compressor and do the down conversion and add pulldown there.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Jun 24, 2009 at 3:02:45 pm

Yeah a Kona card is totally not necessary. Shoot 720/24pN- you will not regret it.

Noah

Writing RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera!. Unlock the secrets of the DVX100, HVX200 and Apple Color.
Now featuring the Lens Adapter Guidebook, Sony EX1 Guidebook,
DVD Studio Pro and How to Light Interviews.
http://www.callboxlive.com

Return to posts index

Kyle Traynor
on Jun 24, 2009 at 4:08:34 pm

Thanks for the advice guys!

Kyle Traynor
Post Production Artist
traynor.edit@gmail.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved