FORUMS: list search recent posts

Travel advice

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
kat hayes
Travel advice
on Jun 22, 2009 at 5:00:51 am

I am going to bring an HVX, tripod and laptop on a plane. I always take my laptop as a carry-on, and have not had a problem with doing so, though now that I want to also bring my HVX and tripod, I am just looking for any suggestions/advice on things I might want to be aware of before doing so. I think I should be able to carry-on my HVX and laptop, and I guess I will check the tripod in. Suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Return to posts index

Christopher Wright
Re: Travel advice
on Jun 22, 2009 at 5:28:29 am

I travel this way all the time. I carry on the laptop and HVX, and get a big enough suitcase to "house" (and properly protect) my Miller tripod. The large suitcase also "stores" my external Hard drives for archiving all my footage while on location.. It works quite well.

Dual 2.5 G5, IO, Kona LH, IO, Medea Raid, UL4D, NVidia 6800, 4Gig RAM
Octocore 8 GB Ram, Radeon card, MBP, MXO
Windows Vista Adobe Studio CS4, Vegas 8.0, Lightwave 9.3, Sound Forge 9, Acid Pro 7, Continuum 5, Boris Red 4, Combustion 2008, Sapphire Effects

Return to posts index

Trevor Ward
on Jun 22, 2009 at 12:18:19 pm

I've traveled with my camera and laptop in a large LowePro backpack. It's a tight fit but it works. The tripod can be hand carried or checked in.

HOWEVER, if you check the tripod in, not only will most airlines charge you for it, but if it breaks or gets damaged, they won't cover it. The exception is if it's in a hard case. Then they'll cover it.

One thing you can do is take the head off the tripod and put the head in your luggage with your clothes. Then your tripod is much smaller and easier to carry on. I've even attached the tripod to the backpack (most camera backpacks have a way to do this), then it's not considered a separate item.

-trevor ward
Red Eye Film Co.
http://www.redeyefilmco.com
orlando, fl

Return to posts index

kat hayes
on Jun 22, 2009 at 8:17:51 pm

Thanks for the replies.

How do you handle bringing lighting equipment? I am thinking of bringing a couple of KNO lights.

Thanks again!

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jun 22, 2009 at 8:46:00 pm

Take out the bulbs and wrap them in bubble wrap or something similar and check the case.

Return to posts index

Christopher Wright
on Jun 23, 2009 at 5:56:00 am

I always just rent the lighting kits wherever I am shooting. It is very cost effective and it is so much easier that way. I know other people that just Fedex the lighting gear to a location if they just must have their own gear.

Windows Vista Adobe Studio CS4, Vegas 8.0, Lightwave 9.3, Sound Forge 9, Acid Pro 7, Continuum 5, Boris Red 4, Combustion 2008, Sapphire Effects

Return to posts index

D. Scott Dobbie
on Jun 24, 2009 at 9:32:54 pm

Southwest Airline has a production deal where they charge $25 per case, regardless of the weight. You need to let them know it's for a production. Easier for me to do that and use my own Arri light kits than pay $125 and more to rent a kit (aside from time involved to pick up and return, and that assumes a location where they're even accessible).

Other airlines may offer similar deals - especially with the economy.

Everything else I have is in Pelican cases, which are great for shipping.

-Scott

Return to posts index

Trevor Ward
on Jun 24, 2009 at 9:51:17 pm

Hey Scott,

Do you ever check your camera in in pelican cases? I use smaller cameras and have always carried them on. I've been afraid to check them in. Especially if I'm traveling internationally.

-trevor ward
Red Eye Film Co.
http://www.redeyefilmco.com
orlando, fl

Return to posts index

D. Scott Dobbie
on Jun 24, 2009 at 10:05:56 pm

In a word, "No."

I'm fortunate in that the HVX200 is small enough to carry on. I normally keep the camera in a Pelican case with the matte box, batteries, wide angle adapter, etc. But I pull the camera out and put it in a soft Porta Brace case for carry on. Then I send the Pelican case through with the others.

On the other hand major production companies ship larger cameras, lenses and gear all the time. Many times you'll see the familiar square Panavision and other production cases (not Pelican) at LAX (Los Angeles Int'l). If there was an issue, they wouldn't be doing it.

While I've got production insurance, down-time with the camera would definitely hurt. Just don't need to take the chance - yet.

-Scott

Return to posts index

Christopher Wright
on Jun 25, 2009 at 7:10:10 pm

than pay $125 and more to rent a kit (aside from time involved to pick up and return, and that assumes a location where they're even accessible).

Most rental houses I have used deliver and pick up lighting kits for free. Usually at the hotel I am at, or even at the car rental place at the airport. Of course your mileage, (and the services of your rental house), may vary...

It is very good to know the SouthWest production rate though.
Sounds like the way to go!

Return to posts index

James Dow
on Jun 29, 2009 at 8:04:08 pm

I put my HVX200a in a backpack, along with extra batteries, P2 Cards,lav mic, headphones. I carry this on, along with my laptop. I check my tripod in a zippered PortaBrace bag. I put some items in the zippered compartments of the PB bag, but some personal items disappeared at the airport in Puerto Rico, so beware. I pack a portable hard drive inside my checked suitcase that contains my clothes. I figure I can always buy clothes when I get to my destination, so If I need more gear, it goes inside this bag. Sometimes I will buy a new portable hard drive (for redundancy) at my destination, and have someone ship it back to me.
I sometimes ship my light kit in advance (take the lamps out first and pack in bubble-wrap) then ship back when finished. UPS is cheaper than United Airlines! I once carried on a BetaCam with a dead battery. When security asked me to power up the camera, we had a situation. After about 20 minutes of questioning, they finally let me through with my camera. If you're camera can't load a tape at least you won't have that problem.

JPD

Return to posts index

Ryan Pratzel
on Jul 2, 2009 at 11:36:17 pm

Kat-

Always try to carry on your camera if you can. It's always a good idea to be able to keep your eyes on the camera at all times. Remember, checked bags can be searched without you being present.

One suggestion, we use a variety of Pelican and Porta Brace cases, but we also have a Cinebags backpack (CB 25). It holds a HVX/Z1U sized camera as well as a laptop... all in one bag. Plus it has tons of pockets for other accessories and the bag fits in a standard overhead bin.

Also keep in mind the type of aircraft you are flying on. I just got back from a shoot in Canada and we were on regional jets the entire way. No room in the overhead. Gear had to fit under the seat or be checked.

Finally, when it comes to TSA checkpoints, they are familiar with cameras. I have yet to have TSA agents give me any headaches. Like a laptop, you'll more than likely be asked to take it out.

Happy travels.

Ryan Pratzel
Executive Producer
Creative Liquid Productions
http://www.CreativeLiquid.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]