FORUMS: list search recent posts

P2 And Medical Equipment Interference?

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Josh Greenbaum
P2 And Medical Equipment Interference?
on Jun 19, 2009 at 4:57:12 pm

Does anyone support the theory that shooting P2 around active medical equipment could result in corrupt media? I am dealing with some corrupt footage now--almost all of the bad footage was shot in a dental office. In addition, could the presence of the medical equipment affect other media on that same card shot earlier in the day? Thanks for any insight on the topic.

Return to posts index

David Coleman
Re: P2 And Medical Equipment Interference?
on Jun 19, 2009 at 8:16:20 pm

I work at Mayo Clinic where I shoot around all kinds of medical equipment: MRI, CT scanners, Operating rooms and many different kinds of procedures. It is an enormously crowded RF environment, but I haven't had any problems with it corrupting my P2 data. I shoot with hvx-200 and hpx-2000 cameras.

Return to posts index

Tim Baker
on Jan 18, 2011 at 12:22:42 am

I realize this is an old post...but I was wondering if you could elaborate a little. I have an upcoming shoot for a scanning facility with MRI, CT, Ultrasound...you name it they have it.

Can you share any tips or concerns with shooting these pieces of equipment with P2 only camera like that HPX170?

How close to equipment can you get...what should I watch out for...etc.

Thanks so much,

Tim

Tim Baker

Chameleon Mobile Video Productions

(239)849-3295

"It is not the light at the end of the tunnel that we should seek...it is the courage to take the next step in the dark that we must find."

Return to posts index

David Coleman
on Jan 18, 2011 at 2:19:20 pm

Hi, Tim,
The most important thing to remember about MRI is that the magnet is always on. The tech assisting you may not even let you into the room where the MRI scanner is, but if he/she does, don't take anything metallic with you, or you may lose it. Don't take your wallet or credit cards in the room because they may be erased. You won't be able to light the MRI scanner because the magnet will drag the light across the floor and they will have to take the scanner out of service until a repair technician can pry the light out of the scanner. I've seen pictures of a walker jammed in one and it was enough to convince me.

As for the camera, you probably won't be able to see a picture once you stand on the threshold of the room where the scanner is. Getting the camera within six or seven feet will most likely erase all the data on the cards and the firmware--everything, assuming you can even hold the camera that close. In other words, don't try to bring your camera in the room with the scanner. Shoot through the open door as the patient gets situated and through the glass where the tech sits & operates the scan.

CT scans are like most X-rays and flouroscopy. You can be in the room with the scanner while it is scanning the patient, but you should be wearing a lead apron. It won't hurt your camera if you want to lock it down and leave the room during the scan. Like the MRI, you can shoot through the glass pretty well, but unlike the MRI you can light the room all you want.

Ultrasound, bone density scan (Dexa), are easy and no special precautions are necessary for you or the camera. PET scans have the same precautions as CT, though the patient is mildly radioactive!

You didn't mention it, but if you happen to shoot radiation therapy like for a cancer patient, you won't be in the treatment room during the treatment, but you probably don't want to leave your camera in there whenever the beam is on. They put cameras in all the treatment rooms for the tech to monitor the patient and all the cameras I've seen have dozens of dead pixels for some reason.

Hope this answers your questions.

David

HPX2000, HVX200

Return to posts index

Tim Baker
on Jan 19, 2011 at 1:27:43 pm

Thanks much for this info and quick response...this is incredibly valuable. Thanks again.

Tim

Return to posts index

Jan Crittenden Livingston
on Jun 20, 2009 at 1:38:40 pm

How was the data moved from the cards to the HDD? Did the video play in the camera at the time? Did you notice in the thumbnail display any pink !s?

Best,

Jan

Jan Crittenden Livingston
Product Manager, HPX500, HPX300, HPX170, HVX200A
Panasonic Broadcast & TV Systems

Return to posts index

Josh Greenbaum
on Jun 23, 2009 at 2:07:33 pm

They used a duel adapter to copy the card to the desktop of a macbook pro, and then copied that to a field drive. They did not attempt to play it back in the camera, so they didn't notice any errors. Part of the clips play down in FCPs log and transfer, but it seems to get to a specific corrupt point in the video and either causes FCP to crash, or the unfinished clip appears with an error exclamation point in the cue window.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]