FORUMS: list search recent posts

Two Cam P2 Shoot Different Look

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Spencer Durham
Two Cam P2 Shoot Different Look
on Jun 19, 2009 at 3:47:31 pm

I Recently shot a small budget project on my 2 p2 cams. one hpx-2000-my HD broadcast cam- the other my new hpx-170 (truck feed deck and second cam). I mainly shoot but like to edit to keep my shooting skills up. Most edits are for probono nonprofit no budget shoots. Also the cards are 3 32 gig cards and 3 16 gig cards (not E series). Plan on getting those this year when 64 gigs come out.
I Imported the footage thru Hard Drive (my slow work around-I am woking on trying to get the 170 as a feed deck-still playing withthat-- this is how I get footage to clients). When I put the 2000 footage on the time line in ---New mac bookpro 2.4ghz, 2 gb mem ,OS 10.5.7-- 09 end of life buy , media drive G-Tech 750 HD (FCP 6.0.5) it fills the screen for 16x9 time line. When I put the hpx-170 footage in the same time line it looks like a a 16x9 footage with the black bars on top and bottom.
Before you say the time line is 4x3 it is not. Sequence setting is anamorphic.
Also I am have a weird look with the DVD ( I am using IDVD because of the low budget and I need to refresh myself on the updated compressor)
This is not my fist time using two cams and editing them, but is my first time with all my new upgraded equipment.
Anyone have this problem and a fix?

Return to posts index

David Coleman
Re: Two Cam P2 Shoot Different Look
on Jun 19, 2009 at 8:23:45 pm

Does the footage in the bin window show the same compression, pixel aspect, and frame size?

Return to posts index

Spencer Durham
on Jun 19, 2009 at 9:01:29 pm

The only difference that I see is that the hpx2000 footage is anamorphic (checked) and the 170's footage is not. I did go in and check the anamorphic line, this was when I brought the clip to the time line. Maybe I really just shot it t 4x3 on the 170. Now, I thought that I shot the 170 at 16x9 but admittedly I am still working the menus where it says letterbox ,squeeze,or side crop. Just wish it would say 4x3 or 16x9 in a SD mode.

Return to posts index

David Coleman
on Jun 19, 2009 at 9:07:40 pm

It sounds like you're shooting standard def and you say perhaps the 170 footage was inadvertently shot 4x3. Click the "anamorphic" column in the bin window, which tells FCP to interpret the footage as anamorphic. Then create a NEW sequence as anamorphic and put your footage in again. Does that change it? Does the 170 footage look right, or is it stretched? If it is stretched then your footage was originally shot 4x3.

Return to posts index

Spencer Durham
on Jun 19, 2009 at 11:26:49 pm

Yes it was a SD Shoot --low budget and no reason to shoot HD. I did check the anamorphic in the 170 footage in the item property window. If I did shoot 4x3 no biggy but how do I know if I a shooting in 16x9 or 4x3 in SD Mode? Do I set to Letterbox,squeeze or side crop. I under stand the concept but not sure were the execution is.

Return to posts index

Adam Smith
on Jun 19, 2009 at 11:38:44 pm

Yup, my guess is the 2000 was set to Squeeze while the 170 was set to Letterbox.

One semi-off-topic note when shooting in SD - Squeeze gives you the full image, anamorphically squished to fit 4x3. Side Crop gives you the full image vertically, but crops the sides off to fit within 4x3. Letterbox does a Side Crop FIRST, and then slaps black bars over the top and bottom of the image. So while you might think Letterbox is the full 16x9 image scaled down to fit across a 4x3 image, you actually wind up with a 16x9 shaped window which has been knocked out of the middle of your actual 16x9 image. Bleah.

- - -
Video Photographer / Avid & Final Cut Editor

Return to posts index

Adam Smith
on Jun 19, 2009 at 11:42:33 pm

Wow, I accidentally answered your next question. =P

Checking Anamorphic in FCP isn't going to help at this point as the 170's footage isn't shot that way. I'd say you either scale down the 2000's footage and edit 4x3 letterboxed, or scale up the 170's footage and edit 16x9.

- - -
Video Photographer / Avid & Final Cut Editor

Return to posts index

Spencer Durham
on Jun 20, 2009 at 12:08:55 am

Thats what I think I'll do. Let me see If I shoot squeeze then it will put the media on the p2 card as full 16x9 ? Thats what I wondered. By the way when I bought the camera I got the book and the manual left them at my brothers two weeks ago thats why I am asking these questions on the form. Thanks for the Info.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]