FORUMS: list search recent posts

Import Settings for P2 in FCP 6.0.5

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Pieter van den Berg
Import Settings for P2 in FCP 6.0.5
on Jun 16, 2009 at 5:18:58 pm

Using Final Cut 6.0.5 and was asked by one of my senior editors if something shot on the HVX can be imported to final cut in the "log and transfer" step to be letterbox sd (im assuming that the shoot footage is either 1080 or 720). I did a test with some older 1080 30p footage and found that no matter what my final cut audio video settings are, the footage still came in at 1280x1080 30p DVCPRO HD. I then created an SD down convert time line and sat through the render which seemed to work fine. Im assuming here that the editor will have a very finite amount of time to work and would like to avoid the inevitable rendering that comes with any FCP job. Is there something im missing in the log and transfer portion or are you locked in to the flavor of hd you shot at?

thanks so much!

Pieter, assistant editor, nyc

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: Import Settings for P2 in FCP 6.0.5
on Jun 16, 2009 at 6:20:30 pm

Not directly no. You would ingest first to DVCPROHD and then convert to SD within FCP or in Compressor or QuickTime Player.

Noah

Writing RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera!. Unlock the secrets of the DVX100, HVX200 and Apple Color.
Now featuring the Lens Adapter Guidebook, Sony EX1 Guidebook,
DVD Studio Pro and How to Light Interviews.
http://www.callboxlive.com

Return to posts index

John Fishback
on Jun 16, 2009 at 6:19:56 pm

In my experience Compressor is the fastest way to convert since it uses multiple cores. Also, while Compressor works, you can still edit with FCP. If you have 2 Macs with Konas (or equivalent) you could play the DVCPro HD out of one and record letterboxed SD on the other.

John

MacPro 8-core 2.8GHz 8 GB RAM OS 10.5.5 QT7.5.5 Kona 3 Dual Cinema 23 ATI Radeon HD 3870
ATTO ExpressSAS R380 RAID Adapter, PDE Enclosure with 8-drive 6TB RAID 5
24" TV-Logic Monitor
Final Cut Studio 2 (up to date)

Pro Tools HD w SYNC IO, Yamaha DM1000, Millennia Media HV-3C, Neumann U87, Schoeps Mk41 mics, Genelec Monitors, PrimaLT ISDN

Return to posts index

Pieter van den Berg
on Jun 16, 2009 at 6:44:39 pm

Thats what i had discovered, but wanted to cover my tracks just in case

how about for EX-3 footage, sony xdcam? same question

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Jun 16, 2009 at 8:05:51 pm

Same answer. I recommend cutting in HD instead. Costs you nothing extra, gives you a free HD master and it's a lot faster to convert one final edit to SD rather than all dailies. That's what I do.

Noah

Writing RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera!. Unlock the secrets of the DVX100, HVX200 and Apple Color.
Now featuring the Lens Adapter Guidebook, Sony EX1 Guidebook,
DVD Studio Pro and How to Light Interviews.
http://www.callboxlive.com

Return to posts index

Pieter van den Berg
on Jun 16, 2009 at 8:08:44 pm

Thanks for the answers, appreciate the timeliness (is that a word?)!

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jun 16, 2009 at 11:47:50 pm

WHy not just cut in an SD timeline?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]