FORUMS: list search recent posts

P2 card/SDHC

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Neal Petrosky
P2 card/SDHC
on Jun 16, 2009 at 4:05:19 pm

I was planning on purchasing a couple Panasonic 32 gig SDHC class 6 cards and using the Dual Adapter for my HVX200a rather than buying the actual P2 cards...

Thoughts?
I'm new with solid state recording so any help would be appreciated.

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
Re: P2 card/SDHC
on Jun 16, 2009 at 5:20:38 pm

They won't work, you have to buy P2 cards for those cameras.

No idea what adapter you are talking about but even if there is one that converts the SDHC cards to a PCMCIA form factor, it would still not be P2 compatible.

FWIW - a P2 card has (4) SD cards that are RAIDed (is that a word?) together to give the record speed needed for handling the data rates of the HD formates. HDV cameras can get away with the small cards because HDV data rate is less the standard DV data rates, a 1/4 of DVCProHD.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Jun 16, 2009 at 6:06:46 pm

Yeah there are PCMCIA to SDHC card readers but that's a whole other universe from a card that somehow makes SDHC into P2. I'd love to have one but I've never ever heard or seen one and doubt one will ever exist with Panasonic's proprietary ownership of the P2 technology.

Noah

Writing RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera!. Unlock the secrets of the DVX100, HVX200 and Apple Color.
Now featuring the Lens Adapter Guidebook, Sony EX1 Guidebook,
DVD Studio Pro and How to Light Interviews.
http://www.callboxlive.com

Return to posts index

Jan Crittenden Livingston
on Jun 17, 2009 at 2:06:35 am

Hi,

The fact that there are four memory sites within a P2 card on a Raid 0 array controlling Metadata, parity checking and plain old data management, the SDHC by it self is not going to work.

And Noah, there are two alternative sources for P2 cards, Maxell and FujiFilm.

Best,

Jan

Jan Crittenden Livingston
Product Manager, HPX500, HVX200, DVX100
Panasonic Broadcast & TV Systems

Return to posts index

Richard Jernigan
on Aug 16, 2009 at 2:36:37 pm

So it sounds like the SD memory card slot is for adding scene files, etc, and not for capturing video. Durnit! The HPX-170 manual is unclear about this.

Return to posts index

Richard Harrington
on Aug 16, 2009 at 5:09:12 pm

Just scene files. Not footage. Panasonic g has prosumer cameras that can write to SD CARDS

Richard M. Harrington, PMP

Author: Photoshop for Video, Understanding Adobe Photoshop, Final Cut Studio On the Spot and ATS:iWork

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]