FORUMS: list search recent posts

Camera Kit Possibilities

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John McKeown
Camera Kit Possibilities
on Jun 14, 2009 at 7:37:04 pm

Hi

I have recently merged my corporate production company with another and now have a mix of camera kit. I have a Panasonic HVX200 and the other company has two Canons - an XL1 and an XL-H1.

As well as corporate film, we are setting up a web TV channel, so a file based camera solution is best there, though having the ability to shoot on tape is sometimes useful for our biggest corporate client.

For this reason I want to hang on to the HVX200 but I also want something file based to save on turnaround time for the web TV channel, that is set out like a full size camera such as the Panasonic HPX301.

How good would these two cameras be together on a two camera shoot, with one shooting 720p AVC Intra and the other shooting 720PN? How would you sync the two together should you want to?

Can you think of a better combination anyone? Whatever - I really don't like the Canons!

Many thanks in advance

John

John McKeown

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
Re: Camera Kit Possibilities
on Jun 14, 2009 at 9:33:37 pm

The biggest issue you are going to have is a mismatched codec. The 300 will be ProRes vs. the 200's DVCProHD. One of the other will need to be transcoded to the other format. (Oh, I wish Apple/Panasonic would make a way to transcode the P2 from the HPX170/HVX200 as ProRes on ingest)

That being said the HPX170 would match better but is not a full size camera. It is just the tapeless version of the 200 with some improvements. The HPX170 and HVX200 can have their TC jammed together via firewire (not the greatest since it can drift if the FW cable is removed). You probably can do the same thing between the 300 and the 200.

If you have the money and want the full size camera the HPX500 would be a better workflow match and people that can compared it to the HPX300 still like the 500 better.

My 2 cents.

Return to posts index

Michael Shugrue
on Jun 15, 2009 at 12:18:33 am

I agree with everything the previous post said( from Mike)
you also woudl want to simplfy your camera systems ( seel of the other 3 cameras and buy two HPX-300's. You will make your life easier all the way around and have a camera if needed cam use rcp's.

Return to posts index

Matthew Romanis
on Jun 15, 2009 at 3:01:27 am

I thought the 300 recorded all the HD 100 codecs and SD codecs too, not just AVC intra?
It would be a good master camera to your 200.

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on Jun 15, 2009 at 10:57:37 pm

Matt, I stand corrected, it can record both as AVC-I and DVCProHD, so the work flow can be simplified. The one great feature of the 300 is the longer lens.

Return to posts index

John McKeown
on Jun 25, 2009 at 8:15:53 pm

Thanks for your responses to my question - I appreciate it.

I really fancy the HPX-500 but the extra costs for lenses etc might be too much for me, hence the query about the HPX-300. The form factor is the most important to me as I don't think I'm getting enough out of myself as an operator from the HVX-200, although it is a great little camera.

The one down side is the Fuji lens (5mm) not being as wide as the one I've become used to on the HVX-200 - I only wish that it came with the Canon one (4.2) that the new JVC GYM-700(?) comes with.

I was selling the idea of the new camera to my business partner on the basis that getting the footage into Final Cut and workflow in general will be quicker than sticking with tape, though transfer from my HVX-200 on P2 can only do this at about real time. I'd hate to get it wrong on this. What does everyone think?

Thanks

John McKeown

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]