FORUMS: list search recent posts

Newby DVCPRO50 footage issues

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nick Barham
Newby DVCPRO50 footage issues
on Jun 10, 2009 at 9:53:18 pm

Hello,

I have shot some footage using a HVX200 with the DVCPRO50 setting. I now have the footage in Premiere and whenever the camera pans or zooms the edges of objects within the image have lines running through. I think this has something to do with deinterlacing and fields. Are there any adjustments I can make to get a smoother looking image?

Any advice would be most appreciated.

Kind regards,
Nick

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
Re: Newby DVCPRO50 footage issues
on Jun 11, 2009 at 3:25:31 am

What frame rate did you shoot, 60i, 30p, 24p or 24pA?

What frame rate is your sequence? 29.97 or 23.98? what field dominance is it set to?

Return to posts index

Nick Barham
on Jun 11, 2009 at 4:45:49 am

OK so I shot at 576/25P and my time line is set to 25 fps (I'm in PAL). I have right clicked on a clip in the time line and selected all the different field options but none seem to make a difference. I'm not 100% sure if I have given you all the relevant info but you might be able see something I'm not.

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on Jun 11, 2009 at 5:12:39 am

None=Progressive, so if you shot it as 25P the sequence setting should be none.

Return to posts index

Nick Barham
on Jun 11, 2009 at 5:42:34 am

OK so I have changed the setting to None and I am still not getting the smoothest motion when viewing the clips time line viewer. When I render the clips out they don't seem to be having any problems. So maybe it's my computer having difficulty playing large files? Anyway I appreciate your responses.

Cheers,
Nick.

Illegalbass

Return to posts index

Adam Smith
on Jun 11, 2009 at 5:26:44 am

It sounds like you've got progressive video shown over an interlaced signal. If so, having edge combing on horizontally moving lines would be normal.

The PAL standard requires an interlaced signal, so shooting 50i would be the norm. When you shoot 25p, you're going for the progressive look, but it's still recorded in an interlaced signal. So you have 25 pairs of matching frames instead of 50 individual half-frames. Since there's half as many temporal samples, as the video transitions between fields, half of the time you'll be seeing a progressive image and the other half the time you'll be seeing a blend of fields between two progressive images - which will be evidenced by combing on the horizontal edges.

You're not doing anything wrong, it's just the nature of the beast. It sure bugged the heck out of me when I first got my camera!

- - -
Video Photographer / Avid & Final Cut Editor

Return to posts index

Nick Barham
on Jun 11, 2009 at 6:13:03 am

So would I be better off using 576i/50i to avoid this problem? Ultimately the video I work on will end up on the web. I have just been trying to find some resources that explain the trade off between progressive and interlaced. Probably not a trade off - more about purpose I'm guessing?

Illegalbass

Return to posts index

Kim Rowley
on Jun 11, 2009 at 9:19:31 am

I think you're right about your last statement regarding purpose. I am in PAL land too and have had no problem with DVCPro50i. Best of luck!

Dual 2.7 GHz G5, 4GB RAM, ATI Radeon 9650, Xserve RAID, AJA IO, 2 20" Cinema Display, FCP Studio 2 (6.02), OS X10.4.11

Return to posts index

Adam Smith
on Jun 11, 2009 at 8:09:04 pm

If you're comfortable with the workflow so far, I'd say give it a while and see if you get used to the look. Shooting 50i won't have the same combing issue, but on a progressive screen the interlace combing may be more annoying... you will likely want to convert to progressive when you output for the web.

Progressive video options:

Shoot 525/25pA (not sure if the HVX does this, but my HPX-500 does) The A stands for Advanced, this is a 25p recording over 50i signal, but the transitional frames are organized and flagged for removal on ingest. You'd need to have FCP to remove the extra frames to wind up with true 25p.

Another option would be to shoot and edit in 720p for a true progressive signal. You can pick 720/50p or 720/25p - but either way you'd set your sequence to 720/50p, standard 720p streams are always 50p.

And if you shoot 720p25pN (Native) you'll get 25 frame progressive HD video with the same P2 card record time as if you were shooting DVCPro50. In this case your sequence would need to be 720p25, as this is a non-standard 720p stream.

Hopefully I'm getting this all correct for PAL, I live in NTSC land.

- - -
Video Photographer / Avid & Final Cut Editor

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on Jun 11, 2009 at 10:14:33 pm

There is no need for A in PAL land because there is no pulldown needed. 24pA is not only progressive but needs extra frames add to the tape since it is always 29.97. The A pulldown scheme can be removed cleaner on ingest for true 23.98 editing.

Nick a couple of questions, how are you viewing this footage, external TV or Canvas? Why are you needed to render the footage, are you adding effects? When you just drop the footage in does it need to be rendered?

If your main delivery is the web you SHOULD be shooting progressive. Progressive goes to interlaced a whole lot better then interlaced goes to progressive. I don't work in PAL but it should be cleaner than NTSC since a lot of time we are also dealing with the above mentioned pull down.

Return to posts index

Nick Barham
on Jun 15, 2009 at 10:59:08 am

Hello Michael,

I'm viewing the footage via the canvas. The mxf files play when
I drop them into the timeline without any rendering. I added some colour correction and that's why I had to render the sequence. I don't have access to the video as I am at home at the moment. In the morning I'll take some screen captures of the canvas and post them up. Honestly I suppose the lines are not that bad but I expected a cleaner looking image and just wanted to know if I was doing anything wrong. Thanks again

Cheers,
Nick

Illegalbass

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]