FORUMS: list search recent posts

AVC-I Camera mode

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jim Wilcox
AVC-I Camera mode
on Jun 10, 2009 at 3:39:53 pm

Probably a stupid question, but when shooting in AVC _ do you not have the option of of shooting 30p over 60i. We have an edit system that only wants to see 720p as 59.94. In setting up the HPX2000 to shoot AVC-I100 there is no option for 30p vs 30p(N). Looks like its just 30p(N) only.

Short of this, is there any way to use compressor or when ingesting to make it 59.94 so ProRes HQ files can be handed off as 720p 59.94 for this editor?

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: AVC-I Camera mode
on Jun 10, 2009 at 11:14:14 pm

Unfortunately, the 2000 does not have all the VFR capabilities of other Panasonic cameras (shame, I know, but then a "P2 varicam" of sorts would have been in place years before the P2 Varicam was released).

My suggestion would be to shoot 30pN and then edit in a 59.94 timeline. FCP actually treats the 2:2 pulldown properly. It will involve a bit of rendering, but it's really not too bad. I do this if I know I am producing a broadcast piece to keep my timing tight.

If you aren't editing in FCP, then you can definitely use compressor to make 30pN files into 720p60 files. It will also add proper 2:2 pulldown if you have it setup properly. Keep the timing section set to 'fast' and and not 'best'.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Jim Wilcox
on Jun 10, 2009 at 11:51:58 pm

Jeremy,

Sounds like we may need to go the Compressor route. Do they have to be transcoded to ProRes before compressor or are you working with the native AVC-I files? And am I loosing 10bit in the process? If not, is there a good compressor preset to use or start with for this process?

On a somewhat unrelated topic, have you ever had trouble getting an SD card configured in the 2000. I configure it and it says it ready, but loading on the mac the file structure is not there (trying to transfer scene files) Both the camera and our P2 Gear do the same...

Thanks for any suggestions.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jun 11, 2009 at 4:25:29 pm

[Jim Wilcox] "And am I loosing 10bit in the process?"

If you don't transcode to ProRes first, you will lose 10 bit. Yep. It's a bummer. Can't wait for a native AVC-I workflow.

[Jim Wilcox] "On a somewhat unrelated topic, have you ever had trouble getting an SD card configured in the 2000"

Can't say that I have.[Jim Wilcox] "I configure it and it says it ready, but loading on the mac the file structure is not there (trying to transfer scene files) Both the camera and our P2 Gear do the same... "

SO you have formatted it in the camera first. Then you take it out, hook it up to a mac and try to transfer scene files to it and you can't see the folder structure? Do I have that right?

Return to posts index

Jim Wilcox
on Jun 11, 2009 at 5:05:20 pm

On the compressor issue first. So Log and transfer to Prores in FCP first (keep it 10bit) then what would I need to do within compressor to get files to 59.94 to hand off to this other editor?

On the SD card. Yeah. Format it in the camera (and in our hpg10) Says its successful. Bring the SD card onto the mac and its just totally empty. No folder structure. I remember that the configuration of the card was supposed to build the folder structure. Am I wrong?

Thanks for your help.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jun 11, 2009 at 4:59:43 pm

[Jim Wilcox] "So Log and transfer to Prores in FCP first (keep it 10bit) then what would I need to do within compressor to get files to 59.94 to hand off to this other editor? "

Well, it'd be a 59.94 ProRes movie (you can set that all up in Compressor, right?) and in the frame controls tab, the most important part is to set the 'Rate conversion' to fast (nearest frame). I want to tell you exactly how to do it, but I feel like you wouldn't learn anything. If you need a quick thing I can build a droplet for you lickitty split. I sugest testing a second or two of footage at a time and step through it frame by frame and see if you get 2:2 (every frame should be doubled).

[Jim Wilcox] "Am I wrong? "

Actually I don't know. What you should try doing is saving your current scene file to the SD card (from your internal scene files to the card) and see if that builds the structure. I bet it will. It should give you the 'PRIVATE' folder after that.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Jim Wilcox
on Jun 11, 2009 at 6:09:28 pm

Jeremy,

I totally agree with you on the learning thing, but that being said we're doing this shoot tomorrow and I am just trying to decide if we can shoot it in AVC-I and deal with the 59.94 issue or just shoot DVCPro HD, so if you have a droplet I would be in your debt.

helen.jim(at)comcast(dot)net

I'll try saving the current scene file and see if I get the structure.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jun 11, 2009 at 5:59:32 pm

ProRes or HQ?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]