FORUMS: list search recent posts

1080 24p workflow - seeking advice to get the most

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Andres Baez
1080 24p workflow - seeking advice to get the most
on Jun 9, 2009 at 6:06:32 am

Hello,
I shot a short film on a green screen using an HVX200 at 1080 24p.
We are going to output to standard DVD and Blu Ray disc if possible.
Please can anybody give me advice on what the best way to edit this material on Final Cut Pro 6 is?

I copied all the P2 media files onto a hard drive. I have not transfered them into final cut cause I wanna wait to know exactly what capture settings I should use. Also what sequence setting, etc.

thank you for your help!

Return to posts index

Ron Thompson
Re: 1080 24p workflow - seeking advice to get the most
on Jun 9, 2009 at 1:20:17 pm

I just shot a multicam docu-reality style show....2 HVX200's, 1080/24p.
Since this is for network, my workflow was to import everything natively (I also have SD, and 720p footage to mix in) and setup my AJA presets to 1080/29.97. FCP and AJA process everything in realtime.

If you have the storage space, just import and go. DVCPRO HD is a very nice codec to work with and doesn't require the fastest drives on earth to get decent performance. I use AJA cards, but if you're working without external hardware, just setup FCP to capture DVCPROHD and set your sequence to the same. There should be a preset.

Return to posts index

Andres Baez
on Jun 9, 2009 at 5:03:35 pm

Thanks Ron,
I am working without external hardware. I have all P2 material on an external hard drive. As far a sequence presets I found a "1080 24p" option so I'll use that one. there is a capture preset (1080 pA 24) but since I'm not really capturing but transfering then I guess I don't have to worry about this. In the Log and Capture window preferences there is a "Remove Advanced Pulldown and Duplicate Frames" option... do i need to check or uncheck this box ?

I have the feeling I should've used the "1080 24pa" when shooting this project. For future projects, should I use that setting instead of the 1080 24p ?

thanks for your help,

Return to posts index

Andres Baez
on Jun 12, 2009 at 3:25:44 am

Any advice on this?

Return to posts index

Ron Thompson
on Jun 12, 2009 at 4:32:06 am

Leave it checked. As far as how to shoot, I don't have the technical explaination, or at least someone on this forum can probably explain it better than I can. Check the FCP manuals tho... they do a good job explaining the settings in FCP for various HD formats.

Return to posts index

Matthew Sonnenfeld
on Jun 16, 2009 at 2:45:50 pm

If you just import your footage and then place clips in the timeline, final cut will automatically set itself up for your settings.

Panasonic HPX170 P
Unibody Macbook Pro 15 inch, 2.8 Ghz, 4GB RAM
Final Cut Pro Studio 2
Student work, The College of WIlliam and Mary

Return to posts index

Andres Baez
on Jun 28, 2009 at 5:03:32 am

I have not been able to set final cut to be able to edit this material in 24p. i think I'm going to edit on a 29.97 timeline.
When I see the footage and I go frame by frame, in some frames I see a halo specially when the actors are moving. Is there a way to solve this issue? My understanding is that even though I shot at 1080 24p with the HVX200, the footage is not progressive but interlaced. Is this correct?

thanks

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]