FORUMS: list search recent posts

MXF EXPORT

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kim Rowley
MXF EXPORT
on Jun 8, 2009 at 10:19:31 am

I need to EXPORT a file from FCP in the MXF format. Any ideas on how to go about this?

Dual 2.7 GHz G5, 4GB RAM, ATI Radeon 9650, Xserve RAID, AJA IO, 2 20" Cinema Display, FCP Studio 2 (6.02), OS X10.4.11

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: MXF EXPORT
on Jun 8, 2009 at 1:12:45 pm

http://mxf4mac.com/mxf4qtexport

-Noah

Check out my new RED Blog. Unlock the secrets of the DVX100, HVX200 and Apple Color.
Now featuring the Lens Adapter Guidebook, Sony EX1 Guidebook,
DVD Studio Pro and How to Light Interviews.
http://www.callboxlive.com

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jun 8, 2009 at 3:05:46 pm

Kim, what format is your timeline and what format of MXF? MXF is a container that can hold many many different flavors of video.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Kim Rowley
on Jun 8, 2009 at 4:01:39 pm

Hey Jeremy, I'll give you the "big picture".
I work for an international non-profit organization. We have an in-house A/V department with 4 FCP suites. As of now each work station is an island unto itelf. We are not networked together. We are currently looking into a MAM system which would not only streamline our current workflow (we have started shooting on P2 cards - DVCPro 50 SD for now), but also serve as a way to ingest our vast archive which currently is on (a few thousand) DigiBeta cassettes. We want to keep and preserve lots of original footage as well as past and future edited Master programs. The tapes are for the most part catalogued with Imagine products TepX and that data is thrown into a rather rudimentary ACCESS based database. So now we are looking to make a major step and investment towards preservation and archiving of all our legacy footage. Most of the injested clips will be dumped to LTO tapes and we'll keep online in lower quality proxys shots that are used more frequently.
As to your question: We will be keeping everything in MXF format (wrapper). The finished sequence in FCP would be exported and uploaded onto the system to be catalogued, distributed etc. We are currently working in 8 or 10 bit uncompressed.

We have chosen to use MXF wrapper throughout because it is more universal and it has the capability include relevant metadata.

Sorry if this was long winded but I thought it might be helpful to include the framework of the problem.
Thanks for your time.

Dual 2.7 GHz G5, 4GB RAM, ATI Radeon 9650, Xserve RAID, AJA IO, 2 20" Cinema Display, FCP Studio 2 (6.02), OS X10.4.11

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jun 9, 2009 at 4:32:09 pm

[Kim Rowley] "So now we are looking to make a major step and investment towards preservation and archiving of all our legacy footage."

Yes. Have a look at CatDV. It integrates with MXF nicely and also integrates with MXF4mac nicely. There's also FCServer, but I think CatDV is a little deeper in feature set and more user friendly.

[Kim Rowley] "Most of the injested clips will be dumped to LTO tapes and we'll keep online in lower quality proxys shots that are used more frequently. "

So you are planning to capture to MXF, correct? Have a look here which links to a cool utility called Just:in that is an MXF capture utility:

http://mxf4mac.com/mxf-capture

[Kim Rowley] "We will be keeping everything in MXF format (wrapper)"

Right, but that's like saying that you will keep everything as a Quicktime movie. It could mean anything from mpeg1 to 4:4:4. There are also different implementations of MXF as well. Determining exactly what you need and or want will be the next step. There are uncompressed SD MXF containers.
I suggest you write Bjoern Adamski @ MXF4mac. You are beginning a large project with all the right questions and MXF4mac understands all facets and variations of MXF like no one else I have seen.
You can at least get a dialog going on what might be the best for your particular needs.

http://mxf4mac.com/index.php/contact.html

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Kim Rowley
on Jun 8, 2009 at 3:52:00 pm

I am familiar with this. Just wondered if there were other choices.

Return to posts index

Bjoern Adamski
on Jun 9, 2009 at 4:31:00 pm

Thanks for pointing to our site Noah.

The exporter available today exports to the D-10/IMX world standard (SMPTE 386).

We are working right now on the MXF GC Export for FCP with all DV compression types, including DVCPRO HD. A pre-release test is currently ongoing. We will also add DNxHD and Uncompressed Video. The exporter is also prepared for AVC-Intra.

Please note that this is no dedicated P2 exporter, P2 uses OP-Atom with separate video and audio MXF files and within the P2 folder and file structure (spanned clips, etc.).

OP1a GC MXF is a single file with video and audio, similar to MOV and ideal for playout and long-term archive. However it allows re-wrapping, so you can send P2 natively or via Log & Transfer to FCP and wrap it to OP1a MXF.

Once the DV/DVCPRO HD implementation is done we will put this also into our SDK and this will be then passed over to the ToolsOnAir team for the Just:In video capture application to extend the MXF capture feature set.

Hope this fits you well.

Thanks
Bjoern

---------------------
Product Manager
MXF4mac
http://mxf4mac.com

Return to posts index

Kim Rowley
on Jun 9, 2009 at 4:45:31 pm

Thanks Jeremy and Bjoern. Your answers were very clear though the technolgy is changing so fast that it's difficult to keep up. I have had email exhanges with you in the past Bjoern and it's probably time to continue a conversation. We are looking at a program called Etere which was developed here in Italy. MXF4Mac may be a good partner to them. Have you ever heard of them?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]