FORUMS: list search recent posts

Ingesting from the 170

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rich Sims
Ingesting from the 170
on Jun 7, 2009 at 1:38:02 pm

Hello,

For awhile now I've been using my Powerbook to ingest the footage from my P2 cards. Problem is the Powerbook bit the dust. Before I sink money into other options (Duel card or other soon to be released options) I'm planning on just using the camera for short projects where I won't be slowed down.

In reading the manual it seems I can now use firewire directly to a hard drive and skip the whole computer part of things.

Questions:
1. Is this the best way to go or should the computer be involved.

2. The directions say to format the drive so it will be recognized. I'm assuming a HD formatted for the mac will be recognized or should it be formatted by the camera for some special formatting?

3. Should I have a dedicated drive with nothing else on it or is it ok to use one that has other information on it. (Yes I know, if I format from the camera everything will be lost)

4. Seems like the following is the setup but wanted to run it through everyone to double check things before I started down the wrong path.

5. New Ingestion system:
a. Existing or new hard drive based on above answers.
b. Hook up to camera via firewire instead of control from computer.
c. Follow instructions in manual including the verification setting on the camera.
d. Take the HD, hook it up to computer and copy to other drives for backup.

What does everyone think. I know it's not the slickest for workflow but at this point I'm hoping for reliable functionality without and extreme amount of a headache.

Thanks,
Rich

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: Ingesting from the 170
on Jun 7, 2009 at 1:50:05 pm

I find the HD method slow compared to ingesting from cards directly- either with the Duel Adaptor- which either works great or is a crashing POS depending on your roll of the dice. Or the Panasonic Panasonic AJ-PCD20 reader which is way overpriced. That brings me around to the mind of instead- just buy another Powerbook on eBay. There's not a more reliable, easy to use method that that.

Noah

Check out my new RED Blog. Unlock the secrets of the DVX100, HVX200 and Apple Color.
Now featuring the Lens Adapter Guidebook, Sony EX1 Guidebook,
DVD Studio Pro and How to Light Interviews.
http://www.callboxlive.com

Return to posts index

Rich Sims
on Jun 7, 2009 at 7:15:46 pm

Interesting,

With the exception of always being a bit afraid of counting on an older machine from someone I don't really know. (Don't mean to sound snarky)

I've heard through the grapevine that someone may be releasing a two card reader in the next few months. Thought I would wait to see what happens.

That being said what do you think about the setup and workflow I wrote about in the original posting?

Thanks for the input,
Rich

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on Jun 7, 2009 at 9:48:07 pm

I have never been comfortable with the idea of a blind copy. When things are fast, I copy the files from a P2 to Computer/HD and always at least open them up in a viewer before erasing the card.

I like the Dual Adapter, fast and a good price but I also recommend have a spare on hand so I totally know what Noah is talking about. Also wish that they would be redesigned.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jun 8, 2009 at 2:53:54 pm

Hey Rich. How are ya?

[Rich Sims] "1. Is this the best way to go or should the computer be involved. "

You are talking about 1394 host mode, correct? It can work if you have nothing else, but there's caveats.

[Rich Sims] "2. The directions say to format the drive so it will be recognized. I'm assuming a HD formatted for the mac will be recognized or should it be formatted by the camera for some special formatting? "

If you see in the directions, they have you format the hard drive from the camera itself. It won't be mac formatted, it will be fat32.

[Rich Sims] "3. Should I have a dedicated drive with nothing else on it or is it ok to use one that has other information on it. (Yes I know, if I format from the camera everything will be lost) "

Since you have to format it, you will need a dedicated drive for this process.

[Rich Sims] "What does everyone think. I know it's not the slickest for workflow but at this point I'm hoping for reliable functionality without and extreme amount of a headache. "

I don't see what you would do this when you can use the camera itself as a card reader until you decide on which solution you want to buy in to. Maybe if you are out in the field on top of the Andes Mountains all the time this would make sense, but I imagine that you will probably be close to a computer at some point during the day.

Have a look at 1394 device mode.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Rich Sims
on Jun 8, 2009 at 4:33:27 pm

Thanks everyone,

Once again, gotta love the cow.

Take care,
Rich

Return to posts index

Spencer Durham
on Jun 15, 2009 at 11:14:21 pm

I have a question that might pertain to this thread.
I have a new macbookpro but it doesn't have a firewire400 like the out put on the HPX 170 ( I have a HPX 170 and a HPX2000. I thought that I could use the 170 as a down load deck as I use it to feed from live trucks thru the SDI connection. Any thoughts on the 800FW oto400FW ? New end of life MACBOOKPR 2.44gig for field editing and new HPX170.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jun 16, 2009 at 1:20:08 pm

You can use a fw400 to fw800 adaptor or a fw400 to fw800 cable. No problems.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Matthew Sonnenfeld
on Jun 16, 2009 at 2:52:13 pm

Firewire adapters work fine. Sonnet Tech makes a nice one and it's as dirt cheap as they come.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/438446-REG/Sonnet_FAD_824_6_Pin_FireW...

Panasonic HPX170 P
Unibody Macbook Pro 15 inch, 2.8 Ghz, 4GB RAM
Final Cut Pro Studio 2
Student work, The College of WIlliam and Mary

Return to posts index

Spencer Durham
on Jun 17, 2009 at 7:37:08 pm

thanks I found what ya'll said thanks again

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved