FORUMS: list search recent posts

720p shooting, shutter speed?

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John Corino
720p shooting, shutter speed?
on Jun 5, 2009 at 5:18:44 pm

Hi, I'm very new to shooting HD. I just bought the HVX bootcamp dvd set and really learned a lot. I still am a little confused and wondered if someone could help me out as I have a shoot coming up.

I wanted to shoot in 720p but wasn't sure what frame rate I should shoot in. 720p24,30, or 60 are my options. It seems the most common is 720p24, however when I turn this on, the light decreases quite a bit in comparison to the 720p30 mode, and the camera looks like it stutters when I pan. I checked the shutter speed and it was set at 1/120, but when I put it to 1/60 it looked pretty good.
Is there a certain shutter speed I should set it at for 720p24? And what is the difference between 720p24,30, and 60 if I'm shooting in pN mode?

Sorry if this sounds confusing, I'm just a bit confused myself!

Return to posts index

John Fishback
Re: 720p shooting, shutter speed?
on Jun 6, 2009 at 4:26:47 pm

What you are seeing with 24p is normal. If you search the forums on jitter, judder, stutter you'll find many posts. If you get a copy of the American Cinematographers Manual there's a table of recommended pan rates for different frame rates and f stops. Speed of pan and depth of field have a lot to do with how much stutter you see. With a shallow depth of field with the bkg out of focus the effect is less. The sensor size of your camera has a lot to do with it as smaller sensors (1/3", 1/2") sensors have less depth of field than larger sensors - 2/3" and up. Some cameras add the proper shutter for a given setup or scene file so make sure of how your camera operates before adding manual shutter settings as you can make things worse. In film terms the shutter is 1/2 the reciprocal of the frame rate, so for 24fps your shutter is 1/48. In video terms that would be 180 degrees. If you don't have an aethestic/emotional reason to shoot 24P I'd suggest shooting 30P as it's much easier to put it into a 29.97 editing timeline. 24P or 30P records the signal in a 60i (59.94 or 29.97) timebase by adding pulldown. 24PN or 30PN records exactly 24 or 30 fps. If you shoot with P2 cards you get much more footage on a card shooting PN vs. P. However, it might complicate your life editing depending on your delivery specs. You can read discussions about this for days there's so much info about it on the Cow.

John

MacPro 8-core 2.8GHz 8 GB RAM OS 10.5.5 QT7.5.5 Kona 3 Dual Cinema 23 ATI Radeon HD 3870
ATTO ExpressSAS R380 RAID Adapter, PDE Enclosure with 8-drive 6TB RAID 5
24" TV-Logic Monitor
Final Cut Studio 2 (up to date)

Pro Tools HD w SYNC IO, Yamaha DM1000, Millennia Media HV-3C, Neumann U87, Schoeps Mk41 mics, Genelec Monitors, PrimaLT ISDN

Return to posts index

John Corino
Re: 720p shooting, shutter speed?
on Jun 8, 2009 at 2:57:21 am

Wow, awesome reply. Thank you!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]