FORUMS: list search recent posts

BEWARE OF "E" Series P2 Cards

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Martin Jordan
BEWARE OF "E" Series P2 Cards
on Jun 4, 2009 at 12:57:18 am

I was able to get a hold of 2-16GB "E" Series P2 cards Monday and once again a developer has released a new technology that doesn't work properly, even in their own native proven format DVCPRO HD.

• If you can believe this, the new cards can record in SD or DVCPRO (any format) and you can watch them in the thumbnails...BUT...you CANNOT bring them across in an NLE ie FCP
• CANNOT shoot in loop
• CANNOT shoot in One Shot
• CANNOT shoot in any VFR

There's supposed to be a software update to fix this according to Panny Support, slated for June 9th. The website says July, so who knows?

The only format you can record in and bring them into FCP is in Intra 50/100.

I have a new HPX300.

So don't get in a hurry to get these puppies.

Owner of Full Graphics Design Firm Houston, Tx 19 yrs.
Mac user since 1988.
Three types of people in this world:
1) people who make things happen
2) People who watch things happen
3) People who say, "what the hell happened".

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: BEWARE OF "E" Series P2 Cards
on Jun 4, 2009 at 2:08:27 am

Er so what- they're brand new and there's already a fix in the works. So shoot regular P2 cards for a couple of weeks. If you really expect all forms of production hardware and software to work perfectly from the moment the first production unit is released, you're in for a lot of disappointment.

-Noah

Check out my new RED Blog. Unlock the secrets of the DVX100, HVX200 and Apple Color.
Now featuring the Lens Adapter Guidebook, Sony EX1 Guidebook,
DVD Studio Pro and How to Light Interviews.
http://www.callboxlive.com

Return to posts index

Martin Jordan
on Jun 4, 2009 at 8:56:40 am

I would if I had regular P2 cards.

I know on new roll outs there tends to be issues sometimes. That's pretty common. The other things I mentioned that don't work right now...ok...who cares about those for a couple weeks. But, not being to able to ingest any of the DVCPRO or SD footage? That has been a main stay for a long time and it just seems really odd to me that, that doesn't work properly that's all.

Mac user since 1988.

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
on Jun 4, 2009 at 2:26:39 am

Martin

I can't imagine that you are exclusively shooting in interval, Loop and Variable Frame mode with your HPX-300. Any other normal record mode and the E Series will not report errors.

So to clear the air, you CAN record in DV/DVCPro, DVCPro 50, DVCPro HD and Intra 50/100 with the E Series cards. You can also Log and Transfer with no problems into FCP 6.

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Board of Directors
Chicago Final Cut Pro Users Group

Return to posts index

Martin Jordan
on Jun 4, 2009 at 8:35:03 am

I"M NOT....
exclusively shooting in interval, Loop and Variable Frame mode with your HPX-300. Any other normal record mode and the E Series will not report errors.

I didn't say anything about reporting errors. No it doesn't report errors.

Yes you can RECORD in every format as my post said BUT you can't get them into FCP so says Panny Support and so says my experience until the fix.

Now, if you are shooting with the E cards and you can Shoot all formats and ingest them all into FCP would you please let us know how your doing that.

Mac user since 1988.

Return to posts index

Tom Klein
on Jun 4, 2009 at 10:00:29 am

Hi Martin,

I shot with a V-Mount Nnovia HDD (firewire connected) for a couple of months before 8gig P2 cards were available to me, I've learned to be patient with Panasonic firmware update delivery, may I suggest some patience and just do a "work around" to keep your clients happy.
we all know in this industry if we live on the cutting edge of technology , we will get "cut" at some point. try an Apple OS update on day of release and you know just what I mean.

cheers
Tom K
olinevideo.com.au

olinevideo.com.au

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
on Jun 4, 2009 at 12:51:11 pm

There is NO mention by Panasonic that the data can not be ingested into FCP.

Where did you see and here this information?

Compatibility Note for Panasonic E Series P2 Cards

1.) Are the E Series P2 cards compatible with all P2 camcorders and recorders?

The new E Series P2 cards are designed to work with all P2 camcorders and recorders. A free, downloadable E Series firmware upgrade is required for optimum performance.

Although not required for initial operation, the E Series firmware upgrade ensures compatibility and optimum performance with all P2 equipment. Without the upgrade, P2 camcorder and recording equipment may experience error messages when recording over multiple P2 cards (Spanned Recording). These “REC Warning Error” messages may appear in the P2 camcorder’s viewfinder or the P2 recorder’s LCD screen during Spanned Recording when utilizing the following modes:

a. INTERVAL REC MODE (in DV or DVCPRO)
b. LOOP REC MODE (in DV or DVCPRO)
c. NORMAL REC MODE (in DV or DVCPRO)
d. VARIABLE FRAME RATE RECORDING/NORMAL in the 12p or 15p VFR settings in DVCPRO HD 720/24pN, 720/25pN or 720/30pN (AG-HVX200/AG-HVX200A,
AG-HPX170 and AG-HPX500 models only)

The E Series firmware upgrade is not required for the following camera models: VariCam 3700, VariCam 2700, AJ-HPX3000, AJ-SPX800, AJ-SPC700 and
AJ-SPD850.

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Board of Directors

Return to posts index

John Fishback
on Jun 4, 2009 at 2:33:10 pm

How are you trying to bring the data into FCP - from the camera or a drive? If from the camera, have you tried off-loading the cards to a drive and transferring from there? That's not hard to do.

John

MacPro 8-core 2.8GHz 8 GB RAM OS 10.5.5 QT7.5.5 Kona 3 Dual Cinema 23 ATI Radeon HD 3870
ATTO ExpressSAS R380 RAID Adapter, PDE Enclosure with 8-drive 6TB RAID 5
24" TV-Logic Monitor
Final Cut Studio 2 (up to date)

Pro Tools HD w SYNC IO, Yamaha DM1000, Millennia Media HV-3C, Neumann U87, Schoeps Mk41 mics, Genelec Monitors, PrimaLT ISDN

Return to posts index

Martin Jordan
on Jun 4, 2009 at 5:03:46 pm

Hey Steve,

Take one of your "E" cards and record something in DVCPRO HD, pick any format say 60p @ 720/60.

Ingest it into FCP and tell me how you do it.

Mac user since 1988.

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
on Jun 4, 2009 at 11:40:18 pm

With my MBPro, I take my P2 card place it into my Duel Systems adapter and offload the card to multiple HD's using Shotput Pro.

Like John said, how are you doing it?

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Board of Directors

Return to posts index

Martin Jordan
on Jun 5, 2009 at 12:06:26 am

I record to the HPX300 e series card. Mount the card on the desktop. copy the files to the HD. Open FCP. Goto Log & transfer find the folder with the files.........nothing.

I borrowed a friends reg. P2 card recorded the same DVCPRO HD clip on it....ingests fine.
E series....nothing except Intra 50/100.

Mac user since 1988.

Return to posts index

Martin Jordan
on Jun 5, 2009 at 8:35:44 am

Steve,

Your own post here from Panasonic confirms what I'm saying. There are issues with:
a. INTERVAL REC MODE (in DV or DVCPRO)
b. LOOP REC MODE (in DV or DVCPRO)

So that says what? NO DVCPRO right now at any level except One Shot.

So until that software fix comes, Intra is our only record & ingest option on "E" Cards. Regular P2 works fine.

Mac user since 1988.

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
on Jun 5, 2009 at 3:15:16 pm

This DOES NOT mention normal mode for DVCPro HD. There is only an issue in VFR mode using the 12p or 15p setting for the HPX200/a, HPX-170 and HPX-500. HPX-300 is NOT mentioned.

So I can confirm the HPX-300 should work. Could it be a user error on your end? I don't know. I know you initially had problems getting P2 to mount before the E Series problem. You will eventually need a firmware upgrade for OPTIMUM performance. The upgrade is not required for initial operation.

You are the only one that is reporting problems using the E series P2 cards and FCP.

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Board of Directors

Return to posts index

Martin Jordan
on Jun 5, 2009 at 3:36:42 pm

Steve,

I appreciate your input but see what the third item says:
You posted.......This DOES NOT mention normal mode for DVCPro HD.

But it does mention it

Am I missing something here?

I know it should work but it doesn't. And I think the reason you haven't heard much from others is because they have only been available now nationwide for about 4 or 5 days. I got some of the first ones on Monday. I've actually had several people email me through various sites like this asking me where I got mine. They can't find them anywhere.

I've checked everything I know to check on my side to see if I am doing something wrong. I come up with nothing. Everything I have is up to date and even Panasonic Support says that DVCPRO (all formats) are pretty useless until the firmware fix. But they go on to say that without this fix it should only affect recording. I tell them hey, it's recording fine in DVCPRO. I can watch all the thumbnails and everything. It's the ingesting that doesn't happen.

When I mount the card on the desktop, copy the files over into a folder and then try to log & transfer in FCP...NOTHING. But Intra both 50 and 100 come in great.

So I don't know.

And like I said, I tried this same procedure with a borrowed reg. 4GB P2 card (I believe it was an "A" series and DVCPRO HD footage ingested fine, just like Intra. So that in my mind says, it's not me it's the card.

If you have any other tips I'm open.

Mac user since 1988.

Return to posts index

Martin Jordan
on Jun 5, 2009 at 3:54:39 pm

Hey Steve,

Well guess what? I just went back to Panasonic PASS Support and they posted a new update. I installed it and tried my tests again with DVCPRO all formats.

IT WORKS now.

YEAH!

Mac user since 1988.

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
on Jun 5, 2009 at 5:14:58 pm

Mazel Tov!!!

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Board of Directors

Return to posts index

Tom Klein
on Jun 5, 2009 at 10:06:43 pm

Just goes to show once again, "Patience" is a virtue.

It makes sense to roll out the product, which could take some weeks/months and have the software/firware available instantly over the web. Well done Pana.

Cheers
Tom K

olinevideo.com.au

Return to posts index

Helmut Kobler
on Jun 6, 2009 at 6:27:00 am

For the record, I love my E series cards (I have five 32Gbs). They transfer super fast using my PCD35 five-card reader. Plus, they're cheap.

Can't wait to install five 64GB cards in my camera come August.

Return to posts index

Jan Crittenden Livingston
on Jun 7, 2009 at 1:11:41 pm

Hi guys,

The E series cards can record DV/DVCPRO without an issue. It is only in the special recording modes on the spanned clips an issue arises. Additionall in the VFR modes in 720P the 12 and 15 rates represent an issue. Avoid these and you will be fine. There will be an udate for all the cameras, shortly. The HPX170/HVX200 are up on Pass aready, might even be on the main Japanese support site. The HPX300 firmware will be upgraded in July along with the Flash Band Compensation.

Glad you got the card working, the download you did, probaly added a bit to the convesation between the card and the computer letting it know that it was a different kind of P2 card, but a P2 card all the same.

Have fun,

Jan

Jan Crittenden Livingston
Product Manager, HPX500, HVX200, DVX100
Panasonic Broadcast & TV Systems

Return to posts index

David Jahns
on Jun 29, 2009 at 5:44:37 pm

Where is the firmware update?

I'm on the pana web site and there's no link from the product page, and the support page search for "E-series" yields no results.

Return to posts index

John Fishback
on Jun 29, 2009 at 6:44:41 pm

Try this link. The info's at the top of the page. https://eww.pavc.panasonic.co.jp/pro-av/support/desk/e/update.htm#p2_pc

John

MacPro 8-core 2.8GHz 8 GB RAM OS 10.5.5 QT7.5.5 Kona 3 Dual Cinema 23 ATI Radeon HD 3870, 24" TV-Logic Monitor
ATTO ExpressSAS R380 RAID Adapter, PDE Enclosure with 8-drive 6TB RAID 5

Final Cut Studio 2 (up to date)

Pro Tools HD w SYNC IO, Yamaha DM1000, Millennia Media HV-3C, Neumann U87, Schoeps Mk41 mics, Genelec Monitors, PrimaLT ISDN

Return to posts index

Michael Shugrue
on Jun 11, 2009 at 12:19:26 am

Where did you buy them. I have been searching and no luck ?

Return to posts index

Tom Matthies
on Jun 13, 2009 at 1:38:43 am

For what it's worth.
I use a small, 250Gb bus powered USB drive to off load the cards from the camera and verify them. I plug it right into the side of the camera to transfer from the P2 card. From there I use the USB drive to Log & Transfer the clips into FCP. Worked every time so far with DVCPro HD.
Tom

Return to posts index

louis sparre
on Aug 2, 2009 at 6:46:27 pm

I'm having the same FCP issue with the E series P2 cards. FCP simply will not recognize them yet the log and xfer process works fine from my laptop.

I've updated the software on my mac from the panasonic site but it hasn't helped. Anyone have any thoughts?

(mac pro quad, hvx200, e series 16gb p2)

Return to posts index

Isaac Brillant
on Jan 1, 2010 at 2:10:19 am

Hi,

Has the issue with shooting Variable Frame Rates using the E-series cards been solved yet, since the last posting here in August?

Thanks
Isaac

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]