FORUMS: list search recent posts

Shooting Overcranked in Europe, Avoiding Flicker

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Heidelberger
Shooting Overcranked in Europe, Avoiding Flicker
on May 29, 2009 at 4:44:47 pm

Hello,

I know there's been a post on this before, but I have a slightly different question, I think.

We're shooting a documentary with the HPX-170 in Europe. Last time we were there, we got some incredible slo-mo shots (60fps) that were unusable because of flicker from fluorescent lights. We had no control since we were in a factory and just sort of had to run with what we were given. My question is, how do I set the camera to compensate for this when I'm shooting off-speed footage. We shoot 720/30pn. I assume I need some sort of combination of setting the right off-speed frame rate and the proper shutter speed. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
- David

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: Shooting Overcranked in Europe, Avoiding Flicker
on May 29, 2009 at 5:45:40 pm

The problem is you need a PAL compatible camera or find locations without florescents...

Noah

Check out my new RED Blog. Unlock the secrets of the DVX100, HVX200 and Apple Color.
Now featuring the Lens Adapter Guidebook, Sony EX1 Guidebook,
DVD Studio Pro and How to Light Interviews.
http://www.callboxlive.com

Return to posts index

David Heidelberger
on May 29, 2009 at 6:32:58 pm

Thanks Noah,

Would it help to set the frame rate of the overcrank to 50fps in the 30pn mode (this can be done if you modify the scene file in a text editor)? Wouldn't that be like shooting with a PAL camera? Or does the fact that it's 29.97 instead of 30 and, presumably, 49.9x instead of 50 mess it up?

- David

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on May 29, 2009 at 11:03:25 pm

It's still a 60i or 24p time base so you won't lose the flicker.

Noah

Check out my new RED Blog. Unlock the secrets of the DVX100, HVX200 and Apple Color.
Now featuring the Lens Adapter Guidebook, Sony EX1 Guidebook,
DVD Studio Pro and How to Light Interviews.
http://www.callboxlive.com

Return to posts index

John Fishback
on May 30, 2009 at 5:52:43 pm

On pages 49 & 50 of the user manual AG-HPX170_oi.pdf there's a discussion about limiting the effect of shooting 60i in 50i land. If you know someone in Europe who could shoot a minute and send it to you, you might see what it looks like.

John

MacPro 8-core 2.8GHz 8 GB RAM OS 10.5.5 QT7.5.5 Kona 3 Dual Cinema 23 ATI Radeon HD 3870
ATTO ExpressSAS R380 RAID Adapter, PDE Enclosure with 8-drive 6TB RAID 5
24" TV-Logic Monitor
Final Cut Studio 2 (up to date)

Pro Tools HD w SYNC IO, Yamaha DM1000, Millennia Media HV-3C, Neumann U87, Schoeps Mk41 mics, Genelec Monitors, PrimaLT ISDN

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]