FORUMS: list search recent posts

Field Monitor

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tom Prigge
Field Monitor
on May 28, 2009 at 7:44:14 pm

Today I hooked up the HVX200P to an external monitor in the field--not a real monitor, actually an old 13" TV/VCR. Did it so the client could see the interview. I shot in 720 30p. The image on the TV was 4:3 and kind of squished looking. The client didn't seem to notice and all went well. But I would like to have seen the picture in 16:9. I was using the RCA video out on the camera into an RCA video in on the front of the TV. I've looked for some sort of setting to output 16:9 but can't find out. Or am I asking the impossible since the TV is 4:3?

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
Re: Field Monitor
on May 29, 2009 at 2:44:33 am

[Tom Prigge] "The image on the TV was 4:3 and kind of squished looking." This should tell you that it is a 16:9 image and you need a 16:9 Monitor, a lot of the new small LCD monitors handle 16:4 and 4:3 feeds so that is all you need.

Return to posts index

cowcowcowcow
John Fishback
on May 29, 2009 at 2:11:06 pm

Michael is right. If you have a monitor capable of showing widescreen it will. However, there might be a way to adjust the composite video out of the 200.

I don't know the HVX200 well, but we own an HPX500 which has similar menus. On the 500 there is a menu that allows a choice of Normal (4x3), Squeeze or Letterbox which affects the composite video out. Check the Camera Setup menu in the 200 and see if you can change from Squeeze to Letterbox. Then record 720P and watch the output on your monitor. It should be letterboxed. What I don't know is whether changing that setting affects the 720P recording. So check that to make sure it's good. If so, problem solved. If not, you'll need to get a widescreen capable monitor.

John

MacPro 8-core 2.8GHz 8 GB RAM OS 10.5.5 QT7.5.5 Kona 3 Dual Cinema 23 ATI Radeon HD 3870
ATTO ExpressSAS R380 RAID Adapter, PDE Enclosure with 8-drive 6TB RAID 5
24" TV-Logic Monitor
Final Cut Studio 2 (up to date)

Pro Tools HD w SYNC IO, Yamaha DM1000, Millennia Media HV-3C, Neumann U87, Schoeps Mk41 mics, Genelec Monitors, PrimaLT ISDN

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on May 29, 2009 at 10:28:32 pm

You can set the resolution of the component out to 480i when you are shooting in HD but you cannot change the aspect ratio, it is locked to NORMAL, which is widescreen. If you are shooting 480i you can set it to 16:9 or 4:3.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]