FORUMS: list search recent posts

P2 Workflow redo

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dan Sawyer
P2 Workflow redo
on May 19, 2009 at 9:08:14 pm

I have shot with an HVX200 for the last couple of years primarily as a backup to our trusty Beta sp rig. I've made the final leap into the tapeless world with the purchase of an HPX500 to replace the betacam. I've figured out how to name clips and change scene files but I'm hitting the wall on using meta data with footage. The problems boils down to this. I'm a corporate shooter, we go shoot for a day and download the cards to a lap top as we shoot. Is there a way to manipulate the metadata on the footage using panasonics software after it's been archived on the hard drive?

I've tried to use their media management software to review clips and make notes but for some reason (probably my ignorance) I can never get the software to see the files.

I know this has probably been addresed in earlier post but I've searched the archives and can find an answer and maybe I'm really dumb but whoever writes the panasonic manuals and whitepapers must have a masters degree in obfuscation.

Thanks for any and all help.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: P2 Workflow redo
on May 19, 2009 at 9:29:25 pm

FCP does not handle metadata from P2 very well. See this for inspiration:

http://library.creativecow.net/articles/garchow_jeremy/dvc_pro_hd.php

Return to posts index

Dan Sawyer
on May 19, 2009 at 9:57:44 pm

Thanks for the info but I use CS3 on a pc. It handls metadata fine. I want to modify it before the edit but after the shoot and download of p2 cards.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on May 19, 2009 at 10:04:01 pm

Then download P2CMS for a PC. It's free. That tutoiral shows P2CMS on a Mac for editing metadata.

There's also products from Imagine Products.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on May 19, 2009 at 9:57:29 pm

Yeah, I use HDLOG (P2 log does the same for less) to add metadata.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Miodrag Ristic
on May 21, 2009 at 3:17:14 pm

Hi Shane (sorry for volunteering you, just I remember your article on P2 in Cow's magazine),

I finally ordered my Panasonic HPX170 but I'd like to ask you would I be able to run DVCPRO HD
on my Power Mac 2.3 GHz Dual Core G5, more importantly - am I going to have the trouble with those P2 drivers.
I am planning to get a secondhand Macbook Pro 2.33 or 2.4 GHz, 15", but I'd still be much happier
if my G5 would be able to run it.

I'm currently on Mac OS 10.4.11 with FCP 5.0.4 ( I did purchase those 5.1 discs but never installed them).

Finally, I read some people have problems with importing footage of P2 cards, or card/folder/footage being corrupt. Then some serious warnings from Barry Green on DVXuser forum.

I mean, one of the reasons I'm buying this camera is that I'm sick of carrying Firestore all the time to have a back up for my tape based footage... Am I going to have to buy now another Firestore for this
camera (in case the P2 is not as reliable as I thought).
When I mentioned Firestore, if I had to use it, does this change my workflow, I mean, skipping the P2 import and just import footage of Firestore in what MXF or QuickTime?

Thanks a lot

Mio

http://www.digitalvideovault.com.au

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]