FORUMS: list search recent posts

leaving firewire cable connected to computer

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
goro toshima
leaving firewire cable connected to computer
on May 18, 2009 at 2:49:48 am

hi all,

i just got an imac and will be editing on this computer...

i was wondering if there would be any problems with always leaving the firewire cable attached the the computer? and then when i needed to offload, i'd plug the other end of the cable into the camera.

all ports are in the back of the computer. so it's kind of a pain to always disconnect and connect every time i download.

thanks for any advice.

goro

Return to posts index

steven matthews
Re: leaving firewire cable connected to computer
on May 18, 2009 at 7:14:38 am

I leave my cables dangling out of my G5 all the time. I seem to recall reading that the IEEE standard requires the connectors to be good for so many thousands of plug-unplug operations but I don't see the need to cause wear by unnecessary tidyness! I also recall some article advising us to plug-in firewire cables only to devices which are switched off. They suggested a higher risk of firewire card failures when "live" connections are made between devices. Sorry I can't cite references but, until a Cow member learned in science turns up with a reasoned reply, I'd play it safe and make dead connections only and then switch on your camera.

Return to posts index

John Fishback
on May 18, 2009 at 2:20:02 pm

I agree you should always have equipment powered down before connecting. Even if the manufacturer says you can make hot connections, I don't.

John

MacPro 8-core 2.8GHz 8 GB RAM OS 10.5.5 QT7.5.5 Kona 3 Dual Cinema 23 ATI Radeon HD 3870
ATTO ExpressSAS R380 RAID Adapter, PDE Enclosure with 8-drive 6TB RAID 5
24" TV-Logic Monitor
Final Cut Studio 2 (up to date)

Pro Tools HD w SYNC IO, Yamaha DM1000, Millennia Media HV-3C, Neumann U87, Schoeps Mk41 mics, Genelec Monitors, PrimaLT ISDN

Return to posts index

goro toshima
on May 18, 2009 at 3:38:34 pm

great....thanks for the responses.

i'll keep 'em plugged into the computer.

goro

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on May 18, 2009 at 3:46:55 pm

I leave a Firewire 400 and 800 cable connected to a Mac Pro all the time- haven't had any problems.

-Noah

Check out my new RED Blog. Unlock the secrets of the DVX100, HVX200 and Apple Color.
Now featuring the Lens Adapter Guidebook, Sony EX1 Guidebook,
DVD Studio Pro and How to Light Interviews.
http://www.callboxlive.com

Return to posts index

goro toshima
on May 18, 2009 at 7:50:22 pm

cool..thanks noah.

Return to posts index

Steven Beers
on May 18, 2009 at 11:31:54 pm

In the obscure category, I did know a fellow audio engineer that used to leave his firwire cables in the floor. One day he picked it up and some static electricity jumped from the carpet to the cable and fried his FireWire bus. Never heard of that again, but I did see it happen to one guy.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]