FORUMS: list search recent posts

Avid Express Splitting Up P2 Clips

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matt Burrows
Avid Express Splitting Up P2 Clips
on May 15, 2009 at 11:52:54 pm

Hi Everyone,

I shot some interviews today for a doc I'm working on and a strange thing happened.

Most of the interviews I shot lasted at least 30 minutes and we rolled the entire time. There was very little stopping. So I was expecting a few very long clips to import into Avid Express (v5.7). Instead, I got a lot of short clips. This is annoying because the clips end mid sound bite in many cases.

During the import I noticed that Avid went through an indexing phase. I think the exact message was "indexing clips". Could this be the problem? Is there a way to disable this indexing?

We shot on the Focus Enhancements FS-100-- the first time I've used it. NOT Panasonic P2 cards. I've never run in to this problem with P2 cards. Anyway, the time code remains consistent from clip to clip so I can always just butt the clips up together and there's no break in my bites. But, who wants all that extra work, and, it makes logging and transcribing a real pain.

Any ideas???

Thanks
Matt

Return to posts index

Matt Burrows
Re: Avid Express Splitting Up P2 Clips--Update
on May 16, 2009 at 12:50:58 am

Okay, so I just remembered that the Focus Enhancements FS-100 is a FAT 32 drive and makes a new clip when your file reaches 2 gigs. So is there a way to get Avid Express or Media Composer to combine all of these 2 gig clips back into a single clip in the bin???

Matt

Return to posts index

Lawrence Young
Re: Avid Express Splitting Up P2 Clips
on May 19, 2009 at 5:08:56 pm

Matt -

the easiest way I have found to deal with this is to import the clips into the bin, then sort the clips by creation date/time (this will yeild the first clip at the top, last clip at the bottom). Now create a new sequence and cut all the clips into the sequence - start with the first clip, end with the last. When this is completed you will have the whole interview laid out, you can now use (Load) this sequence in the play window and cut the interview.

Larry Young

Lawrence S. Young
Best Shot Productions
New England•New York•Colombia
421 Paradise Road
PO Box 110
Bethel, ME 04217
Home: 207-824-3119
Cell: 508-494-3111
Email: lsyoung@megalink.net

Lawrence S. Young
Best Shot Productions