FORUMS: list search recent posts

does HPX170 shoot 1080p?

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
brandon morris
does HPX170 shoot 1080p?
on May 13, 2009 at 8:56:37 pm

We're getting the HPX170 but I'm confused if it actually shoots 1080p.

Brandon Morris
brandonmorris.com
i  my mac.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: does HPX170 shoot 1080p?
on May 13, 2009 at 9:32:28 pm

Yep. It does that. 1080p at 29.97 and 1080pA at 23.98.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on May 14, 2009 at 8:08:00 pm

Not sure if the HPX170 is the same display as the HVX200 but the 200 is a bit confusing because the display setting is 1080i/24p(A). But it is 1080p23.98 when you ingest the footage. Took me a while to convince one person that it was truly progressive. It writes as segmented frames but it is a true progressive frame when it is put back together (which is what happens on ingest)

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on May 14, 2009 at 10:55:04 pm

[Michael Sacci] "Took me a while to convince one person that it was truly progressive. It writes as segmented frames but it is a true progressive frame when it is put back together "

Yes it can be very confusing unless you understand the origin.

Film is projected at 24 frames a second, however in most film projectors the shutter opens and closes twice for everyone of those film frames as they pass by the lens. SO film to your eye is actually 48 distinct images per second since the opening and closing of the shutter makes your eye > brain connection thinks (or presumes) that it is seeing more frames than actually exist.

Progressive Segmented Frame is a modernized version of the same process for video. The Frames are captured progressively at the camera and then during transport the signal is split into odd and even lines - like transmission and the device on the receiving end of that signal can take it as 48i/24p or as 25p/50i.

So that NLE's like FCP/ AE /Premier capture and handle the file as a progressive signal internally, but the transport over baseband (component or HDSDI) to your monitor or deck allows that device to see and control on the output side whether to understand and accept the signal as interlace or take a second look to see that it is a progressive signal "in transport"

Remember that Monitors are lazy (less expensive) so they will take the first signal it understands; ie: the interlace signal. Traditional most LCD's will show data as "i" when asked to display info on a signal. Some MFGs still try to confuse the situation.

HDMI is an issue for another day.

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Post and Production Workflows

Check out
http://www.aja.com/kiprotour/

Inside look at the IoHD
http://library.creativecow.net/articles/adcock_gary/AJAIOHD.php

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved