FORUMS: list search recent posts

avc-intra NLE on mac

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
al hamman
avc-intra NLE on mac
on May 12, 2009 at 4:42:29 am

i am a first time pro camera user, and am having a heck of a time finding a mac based NLE solution for natively editing the avc-intra 100 footage from my new HPX300. I hope to avoid transcoding &/or adding compression artifacts. Any guidance is deeply appreciated. thanks, al

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
Re: avc-intra NLE on mac
on May 12, 2009 at 12:21:44 pm

Welcome to the professional world. Currently there is no way to natively edit avc-intra in FCP or Premiere Pro. If you are using FCP to edit, you use ProRes 422.

What type of projects are you shooting? Do you really need to shoot avc-intra 100 or can you get by shooting DVCPro HD? I would suggest you shoot with DVCPro HD. I ask because you say this is your first Pro camera.

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Board of Directors
Chicago Final Cut Pro Users Group

Return to posts index

al hamman
on May 13, 2009 at 1:17:51 pm

Steve, thanks for the welcome. I actually do kind of need all the delicacy i can muster for the buck i dropped - im doing a documentary and dont want the acquisition format to be a limiting factor in where we are able to get exposure, and i am doing a project for a kids entertainer with a background that is going to be green screen & keyed out. Anyway, i thank you for the input & guidance. Thanks, al

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on May 12, 2009 at 3:15:28 pm

Unfortuantely, there's not a native AVC-I workflow for FCP as Apple has not licendes the AVC-I codec from Panasonic as they have done for DVCPro HD. I encourage you to send feedback to Apple and ask for a native AVC-I codec.

For a native MXF workflow in DVCPro HD, check this:

http://library.creativecow.net/articles/garchow_jeremy/dvc_pro_hd.php

When I first made the tutorial, I thought that I might have an AVC-I workaround which you will see a pop up in the tutorial, but alas, it didn't work as FCP interprets AVC-I as 8bit RGB (instead of 10bit YUV). So for now, we have to wait.

We shoot a lot of AVC-I and transcode to ProRes or ProResHQ. It takes a while but we really like the quality we are getting. I have not seen the 300 in action, we shoot with the HPX2000.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on May 12, 2009 at 6:06:09 pm

Avid Media Composer 3.5 edits all MXF files natively, and P2 falls in that catagory. DVCPRO HD and AVCIntra, Avid handles them both natively, no transcoding.

Until you want to output to tape, then to go out of the hardware I think you have to transcode to the DNxHD codec...but don't quote me on that. This would be a question for the Avid forum peeps.

By the way, transcoding to ProRes or DNxHD results in a very SMALL amount of quality loss. I doubt you'd even be able to see it with your eye. If you squinted at a scope you'd see it. But really, "editing native" is something that isn't always the best way to go. That is marketting hype and hype amongst people who think they need absolutely every ounce of quality you can get. Not true. By the time this gets compressed for DVD, that is moot. By the time they compress this for air on ANY network, and hits peoples homes, this is moot.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Paul Halluch
on Sep 12, 2009 at 3:48:53 pm

i have shot some footage on avc intra 100 at 1080 24pn and in dvc pro hd at 720 24pn. for some reason the avc intra looks Horrible! so much grain and no detail at all. and the dvc pro sot at 720 looks like HD.. do you have any ideas? the only reason i got the hpx 300 was to shoot in avc intra at 1080 p .

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Sep 13, 2009 at 3:36:33 pm

[Paul Halluch] "do you have any ideas?"

I would imagine that you aren't monitoring your footage properly. I bet you are trying to look at your footage in the FCP canvas or log and transfer window at 25% of the size/resolution and you're wondering why the footage isn't looking like it should.

ALso, without us being able to see what you're seeing, it's kind of hard to tell. Some nice still frame exports (tiff or PNG) or your material will help.

AVC-I is perfectly fine and great. I would imagine that you probably need some help in properly monitoring your footage, and also tweaking your camera to get the best results.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]