FORUMS: list search recent posts

I drank the coolaid

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Daniel Weber
I drank the coolaid
on May 9, 2009 at 5:51:32 am

So I finally made the move to P2 and bought an HPX 170.

I will be editing on a MacPro and was wondering the best way outside of a Panasonic card reader to get the files off the P2 card and onto a hard drive for editing.

I have done some research and it seems that most people connect through USB 2.0, but in reading the manual, I notice that I can also connect via Firewire to my MacPro. Wouldn't this be the best way to connect to the computer to transfer the files? It would be much faster than USB 2.0.

Thanks and looking forward to getting to know the format and the camera.

Daniel Weber

Return to posts index

John Fishback
Re: I drank the coolaid
on May 9, 2009 at 4:40:46 pm

A card reader is the fastest way to do this. Using FW or USB from the camera will work fine, but ties up your camera. We always transfer off the P2 cards in the field and use a Duel Adaptor and Shotput P2 with our MBP onto a mirrored RAID drive and another separate drive that becomes our backup. Offload of a 16GB card with verification takes about 12 minutes.

John

MacPro 8-core 2.8GHz 8 GB RAM OS 10.5.5 QT7.5.5 Kona 3 Dual Cinema 23 ATI Radeon HD 3870
ATTO ExpressSAS R380 RAID Adapter, PDE Enclosure with 8-drive 6TB RAID 5
24" TV-Logic Monitor
Final Cut Studio 2 (up to date)

Pro Tools HD w SYNC IO, Yamaha DM1000, Millennia Media HV-3C, Neumann U87, Schoeps Mk41 mics, Genelec Monitors, PrimaLT ISDN

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on May 9, 2009 at 4:54:21 pm

Try the Dual Adaptor- that said it is buggy as heck and dies often. If you get lucky you'll be all set. Nothing beats the P2 reader from Panasonic, though it is quite pricey.

Noah

Check out my new RED Blog. Unlock the secrets of the DVX100, HVX200 and Apple Color.
Now featuring the Lens Adapter Guidebook, Sony EX1 Guidebook,
DVD Studio Pro and How to Light Interviews.
http://www.callboxlive.com

Return to posts index

Daniel Weber
on May 9, 2009 at 5:32:17 pm

Noah and John,

Thanks for the feedback. It is interesting that Sony makes a $250 SxS reader that can be used on desktops, but the Panasonic reader is $2000.

Daniel Weber

Daniel Weber
Producer
Adventist Television Network

Return to posts index

Bill Thomas
on May 9, 2009 at 5:47:27 pm

Yes, the Panasonic is kinda spendy, but it has NEVER failed me in hundreds of transfers.
Plus, it has the internal drive which is only 60GB, but that's 3 cards worth, which is a grand total of 120 minutes of HD footage.

I have yet to shoot that much in one day.

If you're shooting 5 to 6 hours a day of actual footage, THEN I can see another plan.

Bill

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on May 9, 2009 at 11:56:20 pm

Be on the lookout for the Sonnet Qio which will be released in July.

Return to posts index

Daniel Weber
on May 10, 2009 at 6:50:09 pm

And it costs $1000??

I can't believe that it is this expensive to transfer footage from P2 to a desktop.

Maybe I will do the unthinkable and buy a cheap PC laptop to do the transfers with.

Daniel Weber

Daniel Weber
Producer

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on May 11, 2009 at 3:38:38 am

[Daniel Weber] "And it costs $1000?? "

It has two PCMCIA card slots (along with Express/34 and CF) and allows connection of up to 20 drives, not that you'd need 20 drives.

Still, the Duel Systems is unreliable and Panasonic's solution is great (we have, use and love a PCD20), but it's twice the price. $995 starts to look pretty good.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

John Fishback
on May 11, 2009 at 1:38:39 pm

I just saw this listing on eBay. I have no idea if it would work, but check it out. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320266127692&ssPageName=...

John

MacPro 8-core 2.8GHz 8 GB RAM OS 10.5.5 QT7.5.5 Kona 3 Dual Cinema 23 ATI Radeon HD 3870
24" TV-Logic Monitor

Pro Tools HD w SYNC IO, Yamaha DM1000, Millennia Media HV-3C, Neumann U87, Schoeps Mk41 mics, Genelec Monitors, PrimaLT ISDN

Return to posts index

Dan Brockett
on May 11, 2009 at 2:44:22 pm

I must be one of the lucky ones, I have had the Duel Adapter for three years now and used it on four different Apple laptops with nary a hiccup. Works great for me, bulletproof, just does what it is supposed to do and cost me $119.00

I have dumped thousands of cards with it in the past three years.

Dan

Providing value added material to all of your favorite DVDs

Return to posts index

John Fishback
on May 11, 2009 at 3:15:03 pm

My experience, too. Two years using the Duel without a problem. I suspect ones that have had problems are not mechanically kind to the adapter.

John

24" TV-Logic Monitor

Return to posts index

Daniel Weber
on May 11, 2009 at 11:00:32 pm

Does anyone have a link to the dual adaptor? I have searched but can't find one.

Also, is shotput or the Panasonic software the best option?

I understand that just dragging and dropping the files from the P2 card to an external hard drive is asking for corruption problems.

Thanks,

Daniel Weber

Daniel Weber
Producer

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on May 11, 2009 at 10:52:27 pm

[Daniel Weber] "Does anyone have a link to the dual adaptor? I have searched but can't find one. "

http://www.duel-systemsadapters.com/?productid=DP-0001

Search Duel Systems Adapter in the future.

[Daniel Weber] "Also, is shotput or the Panasonic software the best option? "

I like and use Shotput Pro. It allows ease of use and backup to three hard drives at once if you want.

P2CMS also works well, I have had no problems with it, you just have to remember to backup those transfers regularly during the day.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Daniel Weber
on May 11, 2009 at 10:56:46 pm

Jeremy,

Thanks for the link. I have put in my order.

If I use P2CMS to copy the files to a drive can I then copy that folder over to another drive as a backup or do I need to use P2CMS again to make the duplicate copy?

Thanks,

Daniel Weber

Daniel Weber
Producer

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on May 11, 2009 at 11:18:05 pm

[Daniel Weber] "If I use P2CMS to copy the files to a drive can I then copy that folder over to another drive as a backup or do I need to use P2CMS again to make the duplicate copy? "

You don't have to use P2CMS to make the second copy, but I would recommend using a file copier that has some sort of verify. If you spring for ShotPut Pro, you don't have to worry about the backup as it backs up and verifies to up to three soources.

Return to posts index

Daniel Weber
on May 11, 2009 at 11:02:46 pm

Thanks!!!

Daniel Weber

Daniel Weber
Producer

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved