FORUMS: list search recent posts

How to reduce camera shake with hpx500

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matthias Gottung
How to reduce camera shake with hpx500
on May 8, 2009 at 12:28:44 pm

Hey fellow cow members,

I was hired to be 2nd cameraman in a dokumentary style shot.
I played around with the camera that I'll be using today, I'm not sure which one it is excatly but it looks like a hpx500, it's the same form factor at least.

While doing a few test shots I noticed that even with the shoulder pad I shake a bit too much.

Do you have any protips on how to reduce shaking?
I try to lean against things, sit down or put my left arm under my right one to steady everything up. It all works but I would be happy to hear some other tips

regards
Matt

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
Re: How to reduce camera shake with hpx500
on May 8, 2009 at 12:35:51 pm

If you do not feel comfortable shooting with a full size camera, use a tripod, monopod or get a support like the ENG Rig from DVtec or the Tiffen Steady Stick.

Does the person who hired you know that you are not steady with the camera? I would advise them before the shoot so they can decide wether they should use you or not.

Please don't come back after the shoot and ask how to remove the camera shake.

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Board of Directors
Chicago Final Cut Pro Users Group

Return to posts index

Matthias Gottung
on May 8, 2009 at 2:05:21 pm

I recorded a few scenes today to get used to the camera and he saw the footage. Didn't throw me out afterwards.

I just want to get better that's all

Return to posts index

Trevor Ward
on May 8, 2009 at 1:11:52 pm

I used this camera for the first time about a month ago. The first day I had the same problem. I've always prided myself on having super steady shots with handheld cameras. After about a day of shooting, I figured out that if you lean your head against the side of the camera body, you'll essentially have created a tripod, with 3 points of stability: your head, your shoulder, and your hand on the lens.You gotta keep your head against the body.

-trevor ward
Red Eye Film Co.
http://www.redeyefilmco.com
orlando, fl

Return to posts index

Matthias Gottung
on May 8, 2009 at 2:12:31 pm

It might just be me getting used to this camera, I could really see the positive difference in shaking after the first hour.

Thanks for the tip!
I'll make sure to try that

Return to posts index

David Jones
on May 8, 2009 at 4:08:36 pm

Zoom with your feet. Stay wide, and get as close as you can. As far as staying steady while zoomed in, I find it's really a mind-set; you have to "sacrifice the body" as I put it, to stay steady :o) This can include holding your breath (somewhat), and standing or crouching in uncomfortable positions.

That little picture in the viewfinder may appear like it's pretty steady, but when it's shown on a 50" display, it can look like an earth quake!

Dave J

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]