FORUMS: list search recent posts

Seeking P2 Archive Advice

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dave Francombe
Seeking P2 Archive Advice
on May 6, 2009 at 11:22:55 pm

So I need to move to HD, and would love a tapeless workflow, eventually delivering 1080i on HD cam. We shoot a couple hundred hours of SD material each year, that we work with on and off throughout a season of episodes. So I understand the offload in the field, and I think a focus enhancement HDD will help me overcome the need to buy a lot of the P2 cards, and I understand the field process (i think) but I'm having a hard time figuring out what's the best way to archive all the camera original footage.

I saw the LTO and it sounds good, but I think it holds 300gb, and with the large amount of material we shoot, I was hoping for something bigger before I needed another tape. ITB drives worry me big time, I've had enough fail to making individual drives sat on a shelf not a good alternative. So I've been looking at drobopro, it can sit on a network, you can load it up with a 8 1 or 2tb drives, when it then protects data in a raid, when I fill them all up, I can remove them all (its really easy) drop all 8 on a shelf, and when I need something off them later, I load them all back in the drobo, in any order and all 8tbs are ready to go again immediately, no raid rebuild. This allows me to fill up new drives time and again, at about $1000 for 6 tb of protected data storage. So I feel better because I have my data protected, even if two drives in the archive two fail, it will rebuild. I would move files off the drobo to my sans system drives for edit as needed. Any advice, is this just an awful idea ?

Dave

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
Re: Seeking P2 Archive Advice
on May 7, 2009 at 12:21:29 pm

Dave

You have not heard that Panasonic just announced lower cost P2 cards. 64GB E card is under $1000. I would not recommend the Firestore.

First you need to understand the P2 workflow. I would HIGHLY recommend you attend the P2 Camp. If you cannot, purchase this P2 Workflow DVD.
http://www.callboxlive.com/instructional-dvds/panasonic-p2-workflow-with-fi...

Storage and archiving are extremely important. Shotput Pro from Imagine Products along with a few hard drives with one of them at least a RAID 1 should be considered in your workflow.

Drobo is OK for archive and not editing. RAID 5 is what you would want if want speed and protection.

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Board of Directors
Chicago Final Cut Pro Users Group

Return to posts index

Gerret Warner
on May 9, 2009 at 4:09:48 pm

Steve,
Where can you buy at under $1k? All I see online is 2400-2600.

Return to posts index

Gerret Warner
on May 9, 2009 at 4:34:00 pm

OK. Go it. The E series. Makes you wonder whether it has a built-in 5 yr obsolescence or if 5 yrs is what they predict from daily use. For many of us that could make a big difference.

Return to posts index

Bryan DiCerb
on May 13, 2009 at 1:48:44 pm

Wow. I didn't see this either. SO what's the advantage of buying the more expensive cards? I mean if they are going to work for 5 years, I'm not going to want a 64 gig card by then anyway.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]