FORUMS: list search recent posts

mixing formats? HD & SD?

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matt Campbell
mixing formats? HD & SD?
on Apr 30, 2009 at 5:49:11 pm

I have some footage shot on the HVX 200 in 480i60i DVCPro50 as well as some TV spots 8bit uncompressed @ 29.97. I'm working on a project and plan on editing in SD using ProRes codec to save space. With delivery to web only, I'd love to stay Progressive. Will simply changing the field dominance to None in the browser and Sequence Settings window, suffice?

I also, will be getting footage shot on the HVX 200 at 720p24PN. Whats the best way to edit this footage in? Should I:

(1) use compressor to convert the 720p24PN footage to ProRes SD 29.97 and stay Progressive rather than interlaced (I know 29.97 is an interlaced format but have had success using Inspetor A/V Atributes changed to Progressive and frame controls to change output to progressive) or

(2) simply take advantage of FCP mixed format timeline and edit the 24p footage in the 29.97 timeline. Again, 29.97 timeline field dominance is none to avoid ugly interlacing.

Sorry, I know this is complicated but I always have various formats to deal with and am trying the find the best workflow. Which or what will yield me the best results? Better to downcovert before edit or on the fly in timeline?

OS 10.5.5, Mac Pro 2 x 3 ghz quad-core intel xenon, 9 gb ram, with BM Intensity Pro card

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: mixing formats? HD & SD?
on Apr 30, 2009 at 6:18:50 pm

Option 1...and make sure that the FRAMES tab is all set to BEST. While FCP is decent at mixed FORMATS...mixed FRAMERATES is a big no no.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Matt Campbell
Re: mixing formats? HD & SD?
on Apr 30, 2009 at 6:26:38 pm

thanks Shane. Compressor has actually done a pretty decent job of converting my 24p to 29.97. And using Best for frame controls, in my case since I'm just about always dealing with only :30s and :60s, takes less than 5 minutes. I thought I was on the right track.

Danka.

OS 10.5.5, Mac Pro 2 x 3 ghz quad-core intel xenon, 9 gb ram, with BM Intensity Pro card

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]