FORUMS: list search recent posts

Best Online Backup?

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bill Thomas
Best Online Backup?
on Apr 30, 2009 at 4:44:38 am

After almost losing a drive with a bunch of projects, I thought about trying out one of the many online backup services.

Can anyone offer any advice on decent ones?

Ultimately, I would like to upload all the backup drives I have with video files on them (approx 10 500GB drives).

My main concerns would be:

1. Does it work well with a Mac?

2. What's the max upload speed.

3. How secure is it?

Thanks all,

Bill

Return to posts index

Jeff Brown
Re: Best Online Backup?
on Apr 30, 2009 at 1:20:40 pm

I can address #2:

The best theoretical upload likely if you have a Verizon FIOS account (better than cable modem) is 20 Mega-bits per second; about 2.5 MB per second.
My math yields 6.6 min. per GB, or 55 hrs per drive. 22 days for 10 drives. That's if you can get the full upload speed, which is unlikely.

I'd buy some outboard HD enclosures.

-jeff

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
on Apr 30, 2009 at 2:10:15 pm

RAID 5! That's what you need.

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Board of Directors
Chicago Final Cut Pro Users Group

Return to posts index

Lars Wikstrom
on Apr 30, 2009 at 6:53:17 pm

I use 2 backups. I have a 500 gig raid stripe 0 (2-250 gig drives). I then have retrospect launch at 4am in the morning and back up the raid to a 1 gig firewire drive. It only updates any new items. Finished projects go into a 160 gig partition on a 3rd drive. When that is full I write a tape backup using the VXA-320 firewire Data Tape back up system so they are archived.

I have used this method for 18 months now and at my work flow level I write a tape 1 time a month.

-Lars

Return to posts index

James Martin
on Jan 30, 2012 at 10:26:44 am

If you are looking for best Free Online Backup service then you should try myPCBackup since my hard drive crashed and I lost all my family photos and precious data. Thankfully I had my computer backed up online with MyPCBackup and I was able to quickly recover everything.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]