FORUMS: list search recent posts

HVX205: problem with subjects in motion

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Lawrence Kurten
HVX205: problem with subjects in motion
on Apr 28, 2009 at 6:30:37 am

I did a first try with my Panasonic AG-HVX205 this morning.
Edited with Canopus Edius Broadcast 4.6

As you can see, there's a strange result when everything moves: look at the bird, there's a very disturbing ghost effect. It's just like there are 2 birds instead of one.

As it's the first try I was using the camera I've probably made a mistake somewhere in the settings, on the camera and/or Edius.

I shot in 720P/24N, shutter speed was 1/1000, ND filter 1/8, Cine-gamma V, all other settings on automatic.

Original color video shows the same problem, therefore Edius' effects or export settings aren't to blame.

see the video here:
http://vimeo.com/4370234

Any idea why I get this result? Because of shutter speed? Any other reason?

Thanks
Larry

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: HVX205: problem with subjects in motion
on Apr 28, 2009 at 3:46:34 pm

1/1000th? Yes, that's the problem. You are reducing your motion blur due to the high shutter speed. This results in more stacatto images as the sensor is getting exposed every 1000th of a second as opposed to something slower, or in this case of super fast motion, double image. If you lower that speed (we typically shoot at a half if we can, which is 1/48th for 24pN) you will see that motion becomes a bit more blurred as opposed to stacatto as the sensor is getting exposed less often and blurs the image as opposed to taking little individual snapshots, so to speak. Check out the power lines, same thing.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Lawrence Kurten
on Apr 29, 2009 at 2:47:21 am

Hi Jeremy,

thanks for answering.

Actually, I noticed that things go a bit better when selecting different options in Edius.
I used to import the source as progressive (clip options), but can get rid of the double frame problem when selecting either bottom field first (better) or top field first. There's a slight loss in quality though...

I guess I have to practice more with the cam. Coming from a photo background, I tend to use iris and shutter speed a lot in order to adapt to low/high light conditions.
I'd probably use ND filter a lot more and only stick to iris without touching the shutter speed.

Larry

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Apr 29, 2009 at 5:12:36 pm

[Lawrence Kurten] "I used to import the source as progressive (clip options), but can get rid of the double frame problem when selecting either bottom field first (better) or top field first. There's a slight loss in quality though... "

Yes because you are throwing away half the information. You don't want to interlace your progressive images. If you adjust your shutter speed, you won't have the problems and you won't degrade the image.

[Lawrence Kurten] "Coming from a photo background, I tend to use iris and shutter speed a lot in order to adapt to low/high light conditions. "

That's fine, but remember you are taking 25(or 24, or 50, or 60) pictures a second instead of one good one. You need to adapt your thinking to this new way of shooting. You can still use iris and shutter to control exposure, but think of shutter speed as a way of controlling motion blur (among other things).

[Lawrence Kurten] "I'd probably use ND filter a lot more and only stick to iris without touching the shutter speed. "

For outdoor stuff with a lot of fast motion, yeah that's probably a good way to start. Make sure your motion characteristics are correct first, then you can play with how to maximize contrast.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]