FORUMS: list search recent posts

Battery choices for the HPX-170

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Allen Zagel
Battery choices for the HPX-170
on Apr 25, 2009 at 12:51:19 pm

Hi
Well after waiting since March 7th, I finally got my new HPX-170. Wow! Nice camera.

I'm interested in knowing what others may be using for batteries. The standard battery that came with the camera I understand will only power the camera for just over 2 hours.

I need something that will power the camera for around 6 hours +/-.

I know there's the AB ElipZ system as well as somethig on B&H called Impact which seems to fit the existing battery compartment. Then it's a move up in bulk and weight to the AB or IDX stuff. I think the Impact is a new 'house' brand for B&H.

I know the AB pouch pack mount will hold a Hytron 50 but how long would that battery run the camera? Then I'd have to get a JimmyBox to mount the unit under the camera. I also have my nNovia digital recorder that mounts under the camera, neither idea seems favorable to me. That's a lot of stuff mounted under the camera. IDX has a small Li-ion 90 but same question. That 90 is the largest LI-ion approved by TSA.

I have a shoulder bag mount for the digital recorder so that's no problem to just hang it from the tripod, however in my technical work we're either using a Hi-Hat or renting mounts and risers from Chapman.

What are you 'field' folks using?
Thanks
Allen

ASX Media Group, Inc.
http://www.asxvideo.com
NEW DVD - Europe, Trains-n-Trams

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
Re: Battery choices for the HPX-170
on Apr 25, 2009 at 7:07:04 pm

Does it have to run continuously?

Return to posts index

Allen Zagel
on Apr 25, 2009 at 7:27:44 pm

Hi Michael

Sort of. I do technical filming for Railroads and we have to film an entire line. I just filmed for Metrolink in LA and one of the lines was a 2 hour run, continous. We had our own special film train so no stops.

With my Sony DSR-250, it was also powering a monitor and nNovia digital HD recorder off the 12v AB Hytron 140's so we left the camera on all the time, unless we had to move the camer to the other end.

With my HPX-170 it's won't be powering a monitor or the nNovia recorder but if the train does stop for a few minutes I don't turn off the camera.

I'd say I'd like at least a 4 hour battery, preferablly 6 hours. the 2/3 hour standard Panny battery won't do it for this work. That day I'd probably have to use 3 or 4 of the stock Panny batteries. Not good! ;-)

Allen

ASX Media Group, Inc.

Return to posts index

William Carr
on May 3, 2009 at 6:25:19 am

I bought an extra-capacity Panasonic battery for my HVX200, it may fit the 170; it's model CGA-D54s Series 6 and outperforms the standard battery the camera came with.

There are cheaper generics, but here is the one I have:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/282863-REG/Panasonic_CGAD54SE_1B_CGR_...

Return to posts index

Allen Zagel
on May 3, 2009 at 12:24:44 pm

Hi William

Thanks for the info.

I finally got my camera. After researching and asking, I decided to buy the Anton Bauer ElipZ batteries. I got 2 complete kits from B&H as 1 charger will only charge 1 battery at a time. Due to my shooting requirements, I'd need 2 batteries. One ElipZ will run the HPX-170 for just over 5 hours. This was about $1200 cheaper than getting 2 AB Dionic 90's only to get an hour more run time.

For local shooting I also have the battery that came with the camera, and until I know how long that battery will run the camera, I won't buy any more.

So I'm all set.

Thanks to everyone who offered suggestions.
Allen

ASX Media Group, Inc.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]