FORUMS: list search recent posts

Cheap playback in the field

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
austen collins
Cheap playback in the field
on Apr 20, 2009 at 10:55:56 pm

I'm starting a low budget doc next month. Going to be shooting with an HVX200, lens adapter and lenses. Shoots will be done in the morning and afternoons, using mostly daylight. I need to have a playback monitor that speaks to the following issues:

-Producer needs to see what's being shot.

-Check focus, get a decent idea of the colors and exposure

-Will probably put the monitor to use for playback during post. So a good production and post-production monitor.

Also, what is the best and cheapest way we can connect the camera to the monitor? We will mostly be on sticks, but I still want to get very long cables.

Thank you!
A

Return to posts index

D. Scott Dobbie
Re: Cheap playback in the field
on Apr 21, 2009 at 4:21:06 am

"Cheap" makes me think it will lack quality. And if there's no quality, why waste your time?

I don't know what budget range you would consider inexpensive.

I use the Panasonic BT-LH1700W 17" Widescreen HD LCD Monitor, and I've got the Porta Brace field case to go along with it. Excellent viewability in bright sun with the wrap that the field case provides. Being HD, your focus is dead-on. Had it for a couple years and its been a great workhorse.

Return to posts index

Adam Smith
Re: Cheap playback in the field
on Apr 22, 2009 at 11:08:50 pm

I don't know if it qualifies as "cheap", but, I'm also very happy with my Panasonic BT-LH1700W...

I use it both in-house as my edit monitor, and in the field. The thing feels like a tank, very solid and not light. I don't have the PortaBrace for it, I carry it in a padded pelican case. I also use a removable Plexiglas face plate and sun shade, and occasionally an Anton/Bauer battery adapter.

I don't believe you have an SDI out on the HVX-200, but the monitor also has s-video, component and composite inputs.

One note, you can probably get by with something cheap in the field just for checking focus and rough color, but later in the edit station you may wish you had something accurate.

-Adam

- - -
Video Photographer / Avid & Final Cut Editor

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]