FORUMS: list search recent posts

Century Optics Super Fisheye

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tony Luke
Century Optics Super Fisheye
on Apr 16, 2009 at 5:39:33 pm

Hey guys,
I'm shooting a music video next weekend on the HVX and need a fisheye lens. I was interested in the Century Optics super fisheye, it gives .55x more view.

Anyone have this or use it before? I used to have a GL2 setup with a .3x lens from Raynox, so I'm new to Century Optics.

Thanks!!

Return to posts index

Rennie Klymyk
Re: Century Optics Super Fisheye
on Apr 16, 2009 at 8:31:45 pm

I haven't used their fisheyes but I've used century converters and schneider lenses. I've used zeiss and nikon fisheyes also so I'll offer my 2¢.

Century/schneider make excellent optics. 2 things you need from a fisheye converter is the barrel distortion and to maintain image clarity. Cheap converters will give you the effect but not the clarity edge to edge in the same quality level of your Leica lens on the camera. That's ok for youtube but for music video you'll need the sharpness you get from the better brands like Century/Schneider. They should maintain the sharpness and color separation edge to edge.

You'll notice to buy a .3X fisheye from them is $3500.00 because they don't compromise on quality. If you were sitting in the front row along the isle of a theater you will have sharpness and clarity before your eyes. (at least as much as the fixed lens and format can offer)

"thou can not stir a flower without crumbling a star" ......Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

Return to posts index

Tony Luke
on Apr 16, 2009 at 8:49:34 pm

hey thanks so much for the input!

im looking into the .5x fisheye at this point. i imagine at that point itll be a pretty sizeable addition to the original lens, with a little distortion of course. what do you think?

Return to posts index

Rennie Klymyk
on Apr 16, 2009 at 9:33:11 pm

I haven't researched fisheye adaptors as I would if I were about to buy one myself but I have every confidence you will get a good quality optic for sure.

As far as the size, it looks not too bad. This fisheye and the regular .6 wide angle are the smallest in size of all the Century converters made for the HVX200. I have the .75 and it definitely adds some weight.

"thou can not stir a flower without crumbling a star" ......Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

Return to posts index

Bob Hayes
on Apr 17, 2009 at 4:27:02 am

I’ve been shooting with the HVX 200A using Schneider/Century XTREME FISHEYE HD ADP ($3,500lens). It has looked amazing. There is a significant quality improvement with this lens over the cheaper models.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]