FORUMS: list search recent posts

HPX2000 Noise Issues

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tim Snider
HPX2000 Noise Issues
on Apr 15, 2009 at 11:00:29 pm

We are experiencing a good amount of noise in some footage shot on one of our new hpx2000's. I wanted to see if anyone had any thoughts and Ideas on what this may be. I haven't had much luck in diagnosing what is causing the issue as some shots have a lot of noise and others do not seem to have near as much. After searching previous post on the issue I did double check that DRS was turned off and that the gain is off as well. I've uploaded two sample clips to one of our web servers the clips are both prores422 quicktime movies as the original footage was shot on the hpx2000 using AVCIntra-100. The files are 25mb and 55mb respectively and the link are:

http://www.spotvault.com/hpx2000/NOISEY2000.zip
http://www.spotvault.com/hpx2000/NOISEY2000_SHOT2.zip

Any Advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks,

Tim Snider

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: HPX2000 Noise Issues
on Apr 16, 2009 at 3:15:35 pm

Thanks for posting these. They are downloading and I will be happy to take a look.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Apr 16, 2009 at 3:40:22 pm

Yeah, that doesn't seem quite right.

Do you have detail on?

What version of the firmware are you running?

Also, are you in -3 gain or 0?

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Tim Snider
on Apr 17, 2009 at 1:53:21 am

Hi Jeremy, thanks for helping me diagnose this. I need to double check the exact firmware version tomorrow but I know it is pretty recent as we had to get an update from Panasonic to work with the letrosonic drop in receiver that we are using. I checked in the menu system earlier today and noticed a few things. First we are using the 0db gain setting. Secondly the detail setting was set to on. And secondly when I looked in the paint menu under additional detail the master detail is set to +5. does this seem right? I seem to recall being told that the less detail the better. I didn't have any time to roll any footage today, but plan on turning gain to -3db, detail to off, master detail to 0, and rolling some test footage. Anything else you would suggest I try.

Thanks,

Tim Snider

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Apr 17, 2009 at 4:34:58 pm

[Tim Snider] "Anything else you would suggest I try. "

That's a great start. Let me know what you find. FWIW, we love our 2000 and are constantly impressed by the images it makes. My hunch is your detail is cranked to high. Notice on where the noise is, it's in the most detailed/fine parts of the image. Your firmware should be good, I think there might be one more after that, but the one that included the lectrosonic's update should be new enough.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Tim Snider
on Apr 17, 2009 at 10:54:09 pm

Hi Jeremy, I ran a few test and I'm still not feeling to great about the results and I thought I would get your input. These test were shot in dvcproHd and despite a few minor iris changes between the takes they are mainly the same shot with the different settings applied. I tried the current settings, the settings I mentioned I would change, and for a third test I downloaded and applied the Panasonic digineg preset. They all seem equally noisy to me. Especially when viewed on my Panasonic plasma. The only thing I did to the footage was add some text to illustrate which one is which. The download link is http://www.spotvault.com/hpx2000/NOISE_TEST.zip

Thanks Again,

Tim

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Apr 24, 2009 at 11:28:17 pm

That's much better than before, though. Do you have the AVC-I card? That will clean it up a bit, too.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Tim Snider
on Apr 25, 2009 at 2:42:15 am

Yeah, I definitely agree its better. It seemed a little soft to me so I'm still doing a little tweaking. Right now I have the Detail turned on but set to 0 instead of the +5 where it was set. I think it does look better in AVCintra and now the noise only seems to be in the shadows which I've heard can happen with the 2000.
Thanks for all of your help.

Tim

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Apr 25, 2009 at 2:48:17 am

Yes, sorry. I meant to tell you to leave detail on and tweak from there. I just wanted you to see the difference. Good job of testing.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]