FORUMS: list search recent posts

Reducing motion blur at 60fps

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mike Throck
Reducing motion blur at 60fps
on Apr 15, 2009 at 8:49:07 pm

What is the best way to reduce motion blur to the least possible amount? I know the shutter speed needs to be fast, are there any other variables?

Return to posts index

gary adcock
Re: Reducing motion blur at 60fps
on Apr 15, 2009 at 9:13:18 pm

[Mike Throck] "What is the best way to reduce motion blur to the least possible amount? I know the shutter speed needs to be fast, are there any other variables?"

what are you trying to do?

if you are looking for a more "staccato" kind of look, with crisp motion and hard edges - decrease the degree of your shutter angle and increase the shutter speed.

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Post and Production Workflows

Inside look at the IoHD
http://library.creativecow.net/articles/adcock_gary/AJAIOHD.php

Return to posts index

Mike Throck
on Apr 15, 2009 at 10:06:54 pm

I want a clean over-crank with out the motion blur.

What do you think, shutter at 1/1000 (which kills all light) and 180d?

Return to posts index

Matthew Romanis
on Apr 15, 2009 at 10:32:15 pm

The original frame rate there is well over 60fps. Probably up around 500-1000fps.
What are you shooing with?
At very high frame rates the shutter is almost completely open to get enough light for exposure.

Return to posts index

Mike Throck
on Apr 15, 2009 at 10:54:16 pm

Shooting on an HVX200, I know I can't get near that frame rate but it has the look I'm going for. Zero motion blur but still very smooth playback.

Return to posts index

Matthew Romanis
on Apr 15, 2009 at 11:01:19 pm

You won't get playback like that from just 60 fps.
There are some software plugins for FCP that can build frames to place between the shot frames. Twixtor has one for example. I found when using it with footage generated by Varicam that it really only worked on locked off shots, camera movement tended to ruin the results. On some examples I could achieve a look consistent with 150fps. Processing time was long, but that was with an old G4 Mac. Intel would be much quicker.
In that situation using 120deg shutter worked well, very little motion blur.

Return to posts index

Mike Throck
on Apr 15, 2009 at 11:04:04 pm

Yeah, After Effects has a good tool (pixel blender) that can generate frames. I was just hoping there was a way to get that smooth motion (if not nearly as "slow").

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Apr 15, 2009 at 11:48:50 pm

[Matthew Romanis] "At very high frame rates the shutter is almost completely open to get enough light for exposure. "

the clip posted was shot on a Phantom camera at about 250FPS.

you cannot achieve this look on a conventional video camera.

With those cameras you usually adjust other things since there really isn't much of a shutter opening time available at the higher frame rates.

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation

Inside look at the IoHD

Return to posts index

Matthew Romanis
on Apr 16, 2009 at 12:04:35 am

"With those cameras you usually adjust other things since there really isn't much of a shutter opening time available at the higher frame rates."
Hi Gary,
That's the point. The lack of time means that the use of an electronic shutter is pointless, hence the fraction of time that the imager is exposed to has no other light limiting feature in use.
The 250fps film we used to shoot had a rolling drum shutter that in effect was as open as mechanically possible. Any thing less and the exposure times were not enough.
Matthew.

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Apr 16, 2009 at 12:34:49 am

[Matthew Romanis] "That's the point. The lack of time means that the use of an electronic shutter is pointless, hence the fraction of time that the imager is exposed to has no other light limiting feature in use."

MR that does not mean that there is not one as I work as a phantom tech and Vision Research has done an amazing amount of work on this camera to give it a more filmic response -- especially when people unfamiliar with film, think that shutter speed and shutter angle are the same thing.

The two things about the Phantom that surprise most everyone...
The camera has a CMOS imager and rolling shutter (even at 1 million frames)

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation

Inside look at the IoHD

Return to posts index

Mike Throck
on Apr 15, 2009 at 10:20:41 pm

You're right, I did some camera tests at 1/1000, 180d, and 24PN and it looks very staccato. I did get rid of the motion blur but how do I smooth it out?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]