Buttons not working on HVX200

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mike herbach
Buttons not working on HVX200
on Apr 13, 2009 at 7:43:22 pm

almost two years ago when I bought my HXV 200
loved up until last month.
I went to turn it on and it started recording automatically and the buttons would not respond.
I removed the battery and then it stayed in pause mode.
I am about to leave to Florida to shoot in the keys in 2 weeks so this is a real bummer.

I have a weekly Tv show on Fox sorts net and rely on this camera
now also the Hand grip releases from the camera opening the tape compartment,
leaving the whole weight of the camera dangling sideways from the grip .
Not good .
This camera is less than 2 years old and I am disappointed.
I bought from B&H last April when the tv show first aired in HD.

I have a sony Dv Camera from 1998 that has seen way more usage and it still works without any problems.
something is really going wrong with My HVX200
I am hitting NAB again this year I was hoping maybe some on like a rep can assist me with getting the camera looked at.

ANYBODY ELSE EXPERINECEING WEIRD PROBLEMS WITH HVX200?
Michael Herbach

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
Re: Buttons not working on HVX200
on Apr 13, 2009 at 10:55:36 pm

Looks like it is time to call the repair center. You can look up the number on the web or ask a Panasonic Rep at NAB.

It sounds like your camera has taken on a lot of wear and tear.

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Board of Directors
Chicago Final Cut Pro Users Group

Return to posts index

D. Scott Dobbie
on Apr 13, 2009 at 11:31:06 pm

Michael,

What was the purpose of your post? You're not asking for help, only soliciting info on others who've had difficulty. It sounds like the camera was dropped.

Today you also posted your complaint on two old threads that ran their course back in July and September of 2008 (http://forums.creativecow.net/readpost/193/875334 and http://forums.creativecow.net/readpost/193/875332). You ended each by saying you should have stuck with Sony.

You said you've had the camera for 2 years, but then you say you bought it last April (1 year ago).

Also, you imply here you use the camera for a weekly TV show (I think you meant to say Fox Sports Net), yet in one of your other posts you say you use it once every 2-3 months.

Lastly, you say you're going to wait until NAB to try to find a solution. Why not just contact Panasonic?

If you have a true issue and add some clarity, you'll find that people in this forum will be very eager to help you.

-Scott

Return to posts index

Mike herbach
on Apr 14, 2009 at 2:19:25 am

I have a weekly Tv show , I use many cameras , used teh HVX 200 for studio wraps .
The main theme of the show is travel
http://www.wfn.tv/wfntv/programs/show.php?showid=126
TV show times
http://www.ecofishingadventures.com/

I take smaller Hd cameras in teh jungles
I bought the camera in april 2007 from B&H and waited 4 months to get the 8 GIG promo card. I dont mean to bash Panasonic but mainly everything I have bought Video wise to even cordless phones have a small usage or life span.
The wiring harness problem is vast and panasonic should do something about it.
I had a wave Pamnasonic mixer in the repair shop from 1992 to 1998 bvefore tosssing it in the garbage.

Thios camera was a big investment for our studio work & grenscreen segmenst when we shoot them EVERY 2-3 MONTHS

Main shooting is in the jungle or Kayaks and yes I preffer my lil HDRC9 sony HD camera than the panasonic at least it works.
Do you work for Panasonic? I am sorry If I offended you in my search to find others with the same problem.
which I did and now I am enlighten to what the problem is defected
wiring or manufacturing.
NAB will be fun to hang around the booth and share my Panasonic tales!

Return to posts index

Jan Crittenden Livingston
on Apr 14, 2009 at 11:03:56 am

[Mike herbach] "I take smaller Hd cameras in teh jungles
I bought the camera in april 2007 from B&H and waited 4 months to get the 8 GIG promo card. The wiring harness problem is vast and panasonic should do something about it. "

Mike, if you take it in we will fix it. It it was a huge issue we would have had to fix 60,000 of them, trust me we have not. Have some gone bad, sure, but that doesn't mean that it is a epidemic problem, it isn't.

[Mike herbach] "Do you work for Panasonic? "

I do, and if you take it is we will fix it. This is what you will be told at the Panasonic booth. See you there!

Best,

Jan

Product Manager, HPX500, HVX200, DVX100
Panasonic Broadcast & TV Systems

Return to posts index

Matthew Abourezk
HVX200 Button problem a known manufacturing issue with Panasonic
on Jul 23, 2009 at 5:32:37 pm

Hi Jan,

I don't mean to sound too confrontational, but there is a groundswell of evidence that the buttons dying on the HVX 200 is a known problem by Panasonic. This is a hardware bug that three of your authorized service providers have confirmed is known by Panasonic. To the point that they know exactly the cost of the repair and have the parts in stock.

My HVX 200 was barely used in the past year, and in each case of use, it was a studio situation with the camera being treated by me as a valuable tool. Really, this camera could be sold as new.

I was very surprised to fire up the camera the other day, on the way to a shoot, and find that it had developed this problem where the menu buttons and VCR button quit working.

I ended up losing that shoot which cost me $650.

Now I am facing a $300 repair charge.

The question I have, is Panasonic going to take responsibility for this hardware bug and cover the cost of repair? It is the right thing to do for your customers.

Please respond with your thoughts. Again, I am not (in any way) trying to be a jerk, but there should be some accountability for this hardware bug.

My email address is matt@talkingboxdmg.com and I would love to hear from you.

Thanks Jan,
Matt

Talkingbox Digital Media Group, Inc.
http://www.talkingboxdmg.com
(203) 327-6617

Return to posts index

Mike herbach
Re: HVX200 Button problem a known manufacturing issue with Panasonic
on Jul 24, 2009 at 2:40:23 pm

HI Matt I as you used this forum to complain...instead I got black balled off the site.

tons of mean emails back from wana be professionals / jerks/ panasonic butt kissers.
who told me I was "whining and to grow up".. NICE professionals
even the creative cow owner Ron.... started blocking my posts
on creative cow and only allowed wannabe responses from hacks.
They
sent me harsh emails
even calling up the network where I have my tv show and slandering me to the Vice president of the network .

I hate to tell you but Panasonic wont help !!! in fact most of there products I have owned have all been crap over the years .
I am sorry but you wont find any help from creative cow or panasonic.
Mine is in the shop now being repaired for almost $500.00
Panasonic bad electronics for life!!

Return to posts index

Mike herbach
on Jul 24, 2009 at 4:03:48 pm

and the list is endless
yet Panasonic claims there is no defect with the HVX200

give me a break!
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=HVX++repair+issues&aq=f&oq=&aqi=

Return to posts index

Mike herbach
on Sep 22, 2009 at 2:07:42 am

man as the problem increases so does the repair fees Digitron said they where authorized Panasonic repair depot.
They want $600 to fix the cable and tax & shipping on top.
is it too late to go back to sony.....just some of the HVX 200s have had the problem? are you sure Jan?

consumer & customer relations should be priority in these economic times. I swear on my life I will never buy Panasonic junk again , bad experiences in the 80's 90's and now this

"Good ideas for life?" ....."should be repairs for life! "

Return to posts index

Mike herbach
on Jul 24, 2009 at 3:09:45 pm

Best of luck keep in touch and let me know if Panasonic helps you?
I guess it has to be more than 50,000 in order to be recongnized as a defect.
just like the P2 card give away fiasco ....panasonic does not honor there products or name.

if it was a car with any defcet it would have been fixed.
buy sony next time I know I should have stuck with a reliable comapny
like sony.... let me know if you get this as I said I have been blocked form this post..

Return to posts index

on Jul 24, 2009 at 4:40:03 pm

Hi Matt,

Just as I suggested to others, you should talk to the people at the NJ service center, not just get the RMA number and be done. They all are human and they all have compassion, spell out your case and I have seen them do some consideration. They may not fix it for free, but they may give it a price break. Talk to them rationally, reasonably and they will work with you, I have seen it time and time again.

Tell them I sent you.

Best,

Jan

Product Manager, HPX500, HPX300, HPX170, HVX200A
Panasonic Broadcast & TV Systems

Return to posts index

Matthew Abourezk
on Jul 28, 2009 at 8:11:25 pm

Hi Jan,

Thanks for the reply. I am getting the job fixed for $270, which is reasonable compared to others that have apparently had the same problem.

The only issue I have is that this is clearly a manufacturing defect on the part of Panasonic and it only affects a range of HVX 200's that were made in 2007/08. It is known (now) by Panasonic that there are a couple of cables/contacts that corrode due to an issue with the metals used. Panasonic has since fixed this production problem, (and the repair I am paying for will cause the problem to not recur).

I don't share the perspective of many posters that I have seen in various forums, that this is an example of Panasonic selling inferior products, but it seems to me that Panasonic needs to officially step up to the plate and accept responsibility for this issue. Your clients made the HVX 200 very popular, and a vocal and growing percentage of those clients are now frustrated by a problem that was accidentally introduced by Panasonic, you are creating an environment of ill will with those that you depend on. I am VERY interested in moving up to the newer cameras being introduced by Panasonic, but this experience has left me (and apparently quite a few others) concerned about your commitment to excellence.

Obviously, every technology manufacturer in the world has at one time or another, tripped on a previously unforeseen bug, goes with the territory. But in this economy, none of us should have to cover the cost of an issue that was not of our doing. Nor should we have to plead with a repair service and hope for compliance.

I have been shooting with Canon cameras for the past 16 years with literally not one technology glitch in that time. I took the leap to Panasonic with the HVX 200, and after only having used the camera for a short while, it died. Now I find that this is a known issue by Panasonic.

In closing, again, Panasonic needs to do the right thing for its customers. It is a small financial commitment to a company the size of Panasonic, it would be an important act of good will toward those in the community that bought your products, (who will eventually buy more products) and those who network with many other potential Panasonic clients. If nothing else, in this day of age, no manufacturer can afford the bad press that is so easily distributed via the internet.

Matt

(203) 327-6617

Return to posts index

Alan Sheltra
on Aug 4, 2009 at 5:06:54 pm

I have the exact same issue with my HVX200 (less than 2 years old). Had not used it in while and when I turned it on no buttons or menu items would function (goes straight in to record mode, could not even turn it off-had to pull the AC or battery to turn it off). I immediately called the Panasonic center (last Sat) and only got an answer this morning (Tuesday). I will be taking it into a service center today in my area. (L.A.)

My camera is in almost pristine condition, with very lettle use over the last 1-1/2 years (bought in Nov 2007), so I thought this was odd for the this to happen like this?

Reading this thread at least let me know I was not alone with this issue.

Ironically, I was just going to update the firmware for the new E-Series P2 card I just purchased, but never got that far.

Please let me know how your repairs went for you? Or any insights?

Thank in advance.

Alan Sheltra/AniMajik Productions
http://oncallfx.com

Return to posts index

Matthew Abourezk
on Aug 7, 2009 at 9:16:54 pm

I just got my camera back, seems fine now. The cost (including shipping to New Jersey) was almost $300. Repair took about a week.

I'm still chapped about Panasonic not taking any responsibility for this, but as I was told, there is only about 1% of the owners that have publicly reported this problem.

Since this is a problem that seems to appear whether the camera is used or not, I suspect that percentage will increase.

Best of luck to you. At least we know this is a cheap and easy fix.

Matt

(203) 249-7718

Return to posts index

Safi Kheshgi
on Nov 10, 2009 at 11:53:57 pm

Hi
My HVXs buttons failed this morning. I was headed to Bali to get some footage. Sucks preeeeetty bad. Can you tell me the company where you shipped yours off to?
Cheers
-S

Return to posts index

Matthew Abourezk
on Nov 11, 2009 at 12:13:25 am

I feel your pain brother...

I sent the camera to...
Nivie Electronics
Panasonic Authorized Service
work 718-765-0123
work 140 58TH STREET, Suite 7b
Brooklyn NY 11220

They were fast, inexpensive, knew of the problem and had the parts in stock.
Best of luck,
Matt

(203) 249-7718

Return to posts index

mark creek
on Sep 16, 2010 at 4:51:40 am

Same thing! Haven't use the HVX200 for about a month,
went to use it and it goes directly to record mode, that's it.
All buttons are non-responsive - had to pull the battery
to stop the thing.

I'm a creative director for a tv network and I depend
on the camera every month. All set for the green screen shoot and I had to rent another camera - I got a Sony.

This will be the second time it's been in the repair shop.
Hate to pile on but Panasonic does not make it easy to
stay loyal to their products.

Looking for a local NYC repair shop. Last time it was in the shop
for 2 months - sent to Mack Camera. (That's another long story
as well.)
Thanks for your suggestions!

Return to posts index

Bert Jan Blok
on Oct 25, 2010 at 1:56:12 pm

I have the same problem with my hvx200e. Had a shoot last week and after i offloaded the p2 cards i put it aside. Yesterday i wanted to take the camera for a spin and as soon as i turned it on it started recording. Wouldn't stop so i took the battery out. No buttons working either.

I found a detailed how-to on how to fix it yourself (as it's clearly no warranty question..) i'm going to take mine apart this afternoon and keep you'll updated.

there seems to be a corrosion problem with one of the cables. Does anyone know the location of this bugger?

I'm new here, this is my first post. If i need to intro myself please let me know.

here's a link to the detailed "rip-it-apart"
http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread.php?177130-HVX200P-Modular-Disassembly.....

Return to posts index

mark creek
on Dec 14, 2010 at 6:03:09 am

Thanks for the do-it-yourself fix info. Didn't want to void the extended warranty so I sent it back to Mack Camera.
The least Panasonic should do is fix this specific issue for free.
The whole ordeal was costly and a huge pain...

Return to posts index

Bert Jan Blok
on Oct 25, 2010 at 2:27:37 pm

ok. im happy again.

ripped her open, pulled all the connections open and it works again!
any questions are welcome

YES!

Return to posts index

Mike herbach
on Oct 25, 2010 at 9:48:42 pm

and everyone was calling me crazy & a cry baby "get over it" 2 years ago when mine went down.. $350-$700
still think Panasonic should have owned up to the defect... yes a defect... shame shame on Panasonic went back to buying Sony....
HVX 200 make s agood looking security camera if nothing else
and over priced P2 cards man did they sucker in so many......

go SONY be happy!

Return to posts index

Bert Jan Blok
on Oct 26, 2010 at 12:21:54 am

Well, i must say that it's a stupid bug, and it should be warranty and all.

But on the other side i think that the hvx was such an enormous step forward in prosumer cams, never have seen sony (or any other) taking such a step. the problem simply could not be known at time of production, as the corrosion will set in after couple of years, when it's out of warranty.

the problem is VERY easy to fix, and will cost you like 2 hours(instead of 300$). You need a small philips head screwdriver and a bigger one (to take the handle off)

If you're not retarded it is very well do-able.
Don't use screwdrivers to take cables out and use common sense.

i have some pics of the operation, and also a walkthrough on how to fliphack the lcd for 35mm adapters if anyone might be interested.

here you go!

Return to posts index

Iris Bruining
on Dec 20, 2010 at 3:09:35 pm

Hi Bert

I have checked out the great do-it-yourself user manual how to fix the problem yourself; but in another post regarding this subject I noticed that is says it only happens with camera's produced in 2007/2008, and that after having it repaired it should not occur again; however it has now happened to me for the third time with the same camera (after two previous repairs in 2009 and 2010); so would like to understand the problem before I send it off for yet another repair costing 280 euros.

Is it corroding cables; or do they get 'unstuck'? And if it is due to corrosion should a repair not replace these cables with a non-corroding kind, therefore preventing the malfunction occurring in the future?

Thanks very much in advance for your insights!

Iris

Return to posts index

Iris Bruining
on Dec 20, 2010 at 2:40:12 pm

Hi,

I am glad this time round I have found this post whilst searching for HVX200 owners with similar problems. I have encountered the exact same problem for the third time now; having spent around 800 USD for the previous two repairs. I have only one camera on which to rely; this is not on; I just can not rely on it. Has anyone yet found any official response from Panasonic regarding this problem? I am getting desprate as am outside warranty but have spent close to 7000 euros on it...

Any information welcome!

Return to posts index

Nuno Sá Pessoa
on Feb 9, 2013 at 7:42:12 pm

Same problem for me, I was shooting a TV show and the camera stopped working during the shoot!
This is outrageous!! Panasonic should not just pay for the repair itself (OBVIOUSLY!!) as they should also pay some kind of indemnization to the professionals who spent money on their cameras and ended up screwed over and losing money!! One thing is a hack with a TV set, which is for entertainment purposes, another thing is a hack with professional equipment, which we professionals use for working and making a living!! And I really cannot understand people who stay on these big billion making companies side against people who are trying to make a living! The money we spend for repairing the camera is a lot of money for us, on the other hand it's less than peanuts for Panasonic and other big companies, and probably much less than whay they pay to all their employees in China!

Nuno S.

Return to posts index

Nuno Sá Pessoa
on Feb 9, 2013 at 7:42:34 pm

Same problem for me, I was shooting a TV show and the camera stopped working during the shoot!
This is outrageous!! Panasonic should not just pay for the repair itself (OBVIOUSLY!!) as they should also pay some kind of indemnization to the professionals who spent money on their cameras and ended up screwed over and losing money!! One thing is a hack with a TV set, which is for entertainment purposes, another thing is a hack with professional equipment, which we professionals use for working and making a living!! And I really cannot understand people who stay on these big billion making companies side against people who are trying to make a living! The money we spend for repairing the camera is a lot of money for us, on the other hand it's less than peanuts for Panasonic and other big companies, and probably much less than whay they pay to all their employees in China!

Nuno S.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]