FORUMS: list search recent posts

Traveling with the HPX500

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ryan Pratzel
Traveling with the HPX500
on Apr 11, 2009 at 1:19:15 pm

Hey All-

I've been reading the Cow forums for years and getting great advice, but I never joined or wrote any posts. However, I just stumbled upon something helpful that I thought I would share.

I just finished a shoot down in Florida and for the first time for business I was flying Spirit Airlines. They're ultra-discount and have very strict carry on rules. I've flown them in the past and seen them make people check bags they felt were too big.

I was traveling with our HPX500 and did not want to see it get checked so after consulting my vendor and doing some research here's what we came up with and it worked flawlessly...

Bags:
Cinebags CB25 Backpack
Pelican 1450 Case w/ Foam Insert

We customized the foam in the Pelican case and it perfectly fit our lens. (Fujinon XA17x7.6BERM 17x 2/3")

In the backpack we pulled out all of the dividers and the 500 body fits perfectly. It was snug and didn't have room to wiggle around. I used part of the padding inserts to create a little area for one of our Dionic 90's. We used the top pocket on the backpack for a second battery, the viewfinder and shotgun mic. We used the side pockets for the wireless unit and a few spare cables. I was also able to fit in a MacBook Pro in the laptop compartment.

So there you go, perfect carry-ons. The Pelican case fits perfectly under the seat, the backpack fits perfectly in the overhead. I just kindly asked to pre-board and had no problems on either flight. The TSA guys even commented on how easy it was to search the backpack.

I'm sure this setup will work for other cameras as well.
I know the CB25 bag is designed for smaller camera, but it ended up working like a charm.

Hope this helps!
Safe travels.

Ryan Pratzel
Executive Producer
Creative Liquid Productions
http://www.CreativeLiquid.com

Return to posts index

Dan Brockett
Re: Traveling with the HPX500
on Apr 11, 2009 at 8:12:03 pm

Ryan:

Great post, thanks for that from someone who occasionally flys with larger cameras. Love the CineBags, I had the 20, sold it and bought an Ogio. I am not happy with the Ogio and will be selling it and getting the 25 as you have. The Ogio holds a lot of gear but it is a torture device, it is so uncomfortable.

Dan

Providing value added material to all of your favorite DVDs

Return to posts index

Ryan Pratzel
Re: Traveling with the HPX500
on Apr 12, 2009 at 1:48:24 pm

Dan-

One of the great things about the 25 is that it is very well padded on the back and it has the padded straps that will wrap around your waist. Fully loaded it is a bit heavy, but considering what it's carrying it's not bad.

Good luck!

Ryan

Ryan Pratzel
Executive Producer
Creative Liquid Productions
http://www.CreativeLiquid.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]