FORUMS: list search recent posts

Scaling down

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rick Maciag
Scaling down
on Apr 8, 2009 at 10:50:48 pm

I have a client that I shoot ending tags for and then I send them out to another company that produces the ads with my tags. They scale down the shots to fit in addresses and logos at the end of the spots. I shot the tag for the 1st time yesterday with my new HPX-170. I shot in 480 60i. The footage looks amazing until they scale it down. When it scales down, it gets blurry and looks awful. Is there some setting in the camera that I need to change for this? I shot in Film mode, do I need to shoot in Video mode? Should I just shoot in 30p instead of 60i??
There is no need to shoot in HD for these spots. I appreciate any ideas.
Thanks

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
Re: Scaling down
on Apr 9, 2009 at 7:19:08 am

What are they scaling down to? What is the final delivery of the ads?

Return to posts index

Rick Maciag
on Apr 9, 2009 at 2:51:18 pm

the spot is not being scaled down, it is deliverd in standard definition 4x3. I am saying that the shot that I have, I give them full frame 4x3 100% standard def and then they they shrink the shot to about 45% or so and when they do that, the shot gets blurry and does not look good.

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on Apr 9, 2009 at 7:14:23 pm

So the clip in floating within the SD video frame, or used as a Pic in Pic type of deal.

How are you viewing this, on an external monitor, also is the timeline rendered when you are making this judgement call?

I feel you get the best results when using rounded numbers like 40 or 50%.

Return to posts index

Matthew Romanis
on Apr 9, 2009 at 11:04:51 pm

Are they applying a blur filter on the resize? Some programs have a default gausian setting when re-scaling.

Return to posts index

Rick Maciag
on Apr 14, 2009 at 1:31:48 pm

Yes someone else told me about using an even rounded number on a rescale, so I will have to forward that info on.. They are exporting the spots out of FCP and that is what I am exporting my clips out of. I am going to shoot progressive at DVC50 next time and see what happens. I shot Interlaced at DVCPro last time..

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]