FORUMS: list search recent posts

film lens ?

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
carlos castro
film lens ?
on Apr 2, 2009 at 5:51:45 pm

I must say 1st off, I know very little about film lens and dof etc...
I'm under the impression that,

{A} you can't zoom in on film lenses like and eng lens. They are fixed focal lengths.

{B} You have products like letus, redrock etc.. and their job is to convert the image from it being upside down to right sideup in your video camera.

If this is true and I have this right, does this feature { scan reverse function for use with film lenses.}in the new HPX 300 mean that you no longer have to buy these adaptors?

It also says This function cancels the image of inversion that occurs when a cinema lens is used.

I was just reading thru some of the features and I came accross this one and it caught my attention since I've been reading up on DOF adaptors and lenses.

Thanks.

Return to posts index

gary adcock
Re: film lens ?
on Apr 2, 2009 at 6:07:54 pm

[carlos castro] "{A} you can't zoom in on film lenses like and eng lens. They are fixed focal lengths. "

No those would be Prime Lenses.

ENG style tends to be lighter, more compact with zoom controls on the lens and cheaper, there are ENG/ B4 mount primes but mostly those are used on commercial shoots.

Cine style lenses can be either Primes or Zooms, have front elements, focus and aperture gearing all the same size/ ratio to allow for lenses to be swapped without changing all of the accessories. Additionally Cine Style lenses usually focus more accurately, breath less (changing focus when zooming) and are engineered to have consistent aperture numbers and focus marks on the lens itself.

"{B} You have products like letus, redrock etc.. and their job is to convert the image from it being upside down to right sideup in your video camera. "

nope again.
Those product allow you to use higher end lenses with Pl or B4 mounts on lesser cameras, or cameras with fixed lenses on them to try and achieve a more filmic look by having less depth of field ( DoF)

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Post and Production Workflows

Inside look at the IoHD
http://library.creativecow.net/articles/adcock_gary/AJAIOHD.php

Return to posts index

carlos castro
on Apr 2, 2009 at 8:01:37 pm

Thanks Gary.

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
on Apr 3, 2009 at 1:38:57 am

Carlos

This website should give you some education
http://www.zacuto.com/

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Board of Directors
Chicago Final Cut Pro Users Group

Return to posts index

carlos castro
on Apr 3, 2009 at 3:05:29 am

Thanks Steve. Ironically what little I know about the subject I've learned it from the tutorials zacuto has, lol.

When you are on the outside looking in, it can be complicated but with the help of the people on this site as well as some others I'm slowly figuring things out cinema lenses.

Thanks for your help Steve.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]