FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCP unable to read "Lastclip.TXT" file

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Bogard
FCP unable to read "Lastclip.TXT" file
on Mar 30, 2009 at 9:56:30 pm

I have been transferring files from the P2 to a PC laptop, to an external HD, and then into FCP. Lately the "Lastclip.txt" file is "grayed" out in the Untitled Disk drive on my desktop when I try and retrieve it in the Log and Transfer window on FCP, and I can't transfer the files. Everything seems to move nicely between the various disks, but the crucial Lastclip.txt is gray. What's happening??

Pan Fan

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: FCP unable to read "Lastclip.TXT" file
on Mar 30, 2009 at 11:36:26 pm

Lastclip.txt is necessairly needed and doesn't get read in the log and transfer window. What problems are you facing?

Return to posts index

David Bogard
on Mar 31, 2009 at 12:55:08 am

You are, of course, correct. On further investigation I find that once the P2 card is transfered to my PC laptop, the Video file in content is empty!!! This is when transfered thru drag and drop or using Shotput Pro. Neither brings in the video. although Shotput Pro says it was all transfered successfully. The files are empty! What's going on? This has never happened before! I can easily transfer those files thru firewire and the Cam but I want to use the PC. Any suggestions?

Pan Fan

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Mar 31, 2009 at 1:30:57 am

When you mount the P2 card on your desktop, is the video file empty on the p2 card itself?

What about the audio file? Anything in there? My first guess is you have an empty P2 card.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

David Bogard
on Mar 31, 2009 at 1:37:25 am

No I checked that. I can see the thumbnail and it runs fine in the camera. I also transfered a file thru firewire to the FCP with no problems, then tried it with Shotput Pro..nothing but empty files. I'm at a loss!

Pan Fan

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Mar 31, 2009 at 1:55:33 am

I'd get in touch with Imagine Products. They are fairly responsive and I am sure they will be interested in hearing what you have to say.

Let me ask you this, just so I can be sure I am getting this right.

You use a PC to offload your footage with shotput pro, and then you plug that drive in to your mac and try and log and transfer? What format is your media drive on your mac? What format is your drive on your pc laptop? How are you dealing with the 4GB limit on PC vs Mac?

Jeremy

Return to posts index

David Bogard
on Mar 31, 2009 at 2:28:04 am

To start with, it has worked before..it just now is not working.
The PC is a dual core Gateway with 160GB hard drive. The MAC is a MacPro dual quad core with 8 GB ram and an extremely fast video card. The external drive is a 500 GB Western Digital.
I formatted and partitioned the 500GB external HD on the MAC as a FAT 32 so there is no file size limit. It works fine transferring files of any size between the Mac and the PC. As I said I have transferred P2 files before..it just started doing this this week. Obviously Shotput Pro does not see the content of video files on the P2 and is not transferring anything to the PC. But neither can I just drag and drop the files from the P2 onto the PC. Same thing happens as with Shotput Pro. Help!

Pan Fan

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Mar 31, 2009 at 4:04:57 pm

[David Bogard] "ormatted and partitioned the 500GB external HD on the MAC as a FAT 32 so there is no file size limit. "

Yes there is. FAT32 has a 4GB file size limit. Although transferring P2 should be fine as P2 is formatted fat32 as well. If using media drives on a mac, you need to format MAC OS extended. This will ensure files over 4GB will get written to your drive. Let's say you have a video file that is 4GB, or spans over two clips that total over 4GBs when merged together. During the log and transfer process, those two video files totaling over 4GBs will have audio added to them (further increasing the file size) and will make a file that is over 4GBs. If your drive is formatted fat32 on a mac, the file won't get written.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File_Allocation_Table#FAT32

[David Bogard] "Obviously Shotput Pro does not see the content of video files on the P2 and is not transferring anything to the PC. But neither can I just drag and drop the files from the P2 onto the PC. Same thing happens as with Shotput Pro. Help! "

On your P2 card, how may files are in the video folder? Can you use the Mac to copy the clips over? Do you have the proper P2 drivers installed?

https://eww.pavc.panasonic.co.jp/pro-av/support/cs/csregistp2m/ep2main/pcdr...

Jeremy

Return to posts index

David Bogard
on Mar 31, 2009 at 2:00:51 pm

I'm transferring the P2 to a PC (Dual core Intel) through PCMCIA slot, then to an external FAT 32 HD, then to the MacPro via Firewire. It has worked before but will not now. The FAT 32 was formated on the Mac and has no size limit. The same files are easily transfer from the camera to the MacPro through firewire, so I know the P2 clip data is good.

Pan Fan

Return to posts index

David Bogard
on Mar 31, 2009 at 1:49:00 am

The thumbnail plays fine on the camera. But when I insert it in the PCMCIA slot and transfer it thru Shotput Pro..it shows only 2 bytes transferred!!! and yet says it was successful!

Pan Fan

Return to posts index

David Bogard
on Mar 31, 2009 at 4:14:03 pm

Interesting development: I just shot, and successfully transfered a 1GB clip from the P2 card, to the PC, to the HD and finally into FCP with no hitches, using both Shotput Pro and drag and drop. I haven't the foggiest idea why it suddenly is working again! I will keep shooting different clips and setups to see if I run into the problem again. I never will understand these things I suppose.

Pan Fan

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Mar 31, 2009 at 4:22:04 pm

[David Bogard] "I haven't the foggiest idea why it suddenly is working again!"

Well, it's usually not magic. My feeling is that you thought you have media on that P2 card, but in reality you don't.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

John Fishback
on Apr 1, 2009 at 8:45:00 pm

You have said a couple of times the FAT32 formatted on a Mac has no file limitation. As Jeremy said earlier, that is not true. It won't write files bigger than 4GB. Now, I'm not an IS expert, but if the video fo;der has clips that total over 4GB the folder probably won't be written. Certainly any files over 4GB won't be written. If you're transferring a partially filled P2and the total size is under 4GB then it will work.

John

MacPro 8-core 2.8GHz 8 GB RAM OS 10.5.5 QT7.5.5 Kona 3 Dual Cinema 23 ATI Radeon HD 3870
ATTO ExpressSAS R380 RAID Adapter, PDE Enclosure with 8-drive 6TB RAID 5
24" TV-Logic Monitor
Final Cut Studio 2 (up to date)

Pro Tools HD w SYNC IO, Yamaha DM1000, Millennia Media HV-3C, Neumann U87, Schoeps Mk41 mics, Genelec Monitors, PrimaLT ISDN

Return to posts index

David Bogard
on Apr 2, 2009 at 7:14:09 pm

Thanks guys! I think i have the problem solved.

Pan Fan

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Apr 2, 2009 at 7:36:43 pm

Cool, what happened?

Return to posts index

David Bogard
on Apr 4, 2009 at 3:59:12 pm

Actually, I am not that sure, but its loading fine now, as it had before. As to the suggestion I had nothing on the P2 card, I double/triple checked this over and over with different clips. They ALL played back in the camera fine, and I could transfer them to the desktop thru firewire and the camera itself. It was only when I tried to transfer the SAME clip to the PC that nothing was recognized to transfer. This is the same clip I had just transfered via firewire. Ergo: Magic? One of the strange tricks computers throw at us from time to time? I don't know. I only hope it never happens again. I very much DO appreciate the help you guys gave me tho Jeremy, and you're right of course, about the External drive and 4 GB. Don't know where my mind was on that. Regards!

Pan Fan

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]