FORUMS: list search recent posts

Remove Pulldown in Log and Transfer not working??

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
tony rain
Remove Pulldown in Log and Transfer not working??
on Mar 19, 2009 at 4:33:43 pm

Hey all,

I know there are several posts regarding this. I have done the 'google' search but still can't seem to find an answer. Maybe I'm totally overlooking it?? I am not that knowledgeable about the hvx/p2/mxf workflow but it seems pretty straight forward. It's actually working well in Final Cut Pro 6.0.5 except for me not being able to remove pulldown via the Log and Transfer window upon import.

My DP transfered all of the mxf files (all directories) to my drive from his p2 card and firestore. He shot 1080p 24 (I believe) which ever setting shoots 24fps but wraps it in a 29.97 frame rate with pulldown. I'm able to import (unwrap) the files into Final Cut 6.0.5 via the 'Log and Transfer' window. Only problem is that when I check remove pulldown and delete duplicate frames (not sure if that's the exact wording) it doesn't remove the pulldown. The clips still come in at 29.97. I know there is pulldown because when I frame through I see 3 progressive frames and 2 interlaced frames. I am able to bring the clips in AE and remove pulldown but I'd really like to remove pulldown upon the FCP import stage rather than go to another app to do this.

Is it a bug that I'm experiencing or does this feature just not work in Final Cut? Is there some other setting that I should know about that had to be set in order for the pulldown to be removed upon import??

Thanks All! I appreciate your feedback in advance! I'm trying to figure this all out by the weekend so that I can attack the editing process!

Please let me know If I am not clear about this and I will try to explain further.

Cheers!

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: Remove Pulldown in Log and Transfer not working??
on Mar 19, 2009 at 5:19:01 pm

Did he shoot 24p or 24pA. You can only automatically remove pulldown via log and transfer with 24pA. If it's shot 24p, you will have to use Cinema Tools or Compressor.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

tony rain
on Mar 19, 2009 at 11:36:47 pm

Thanks Jeremy! He did shoot 24p. It was driving me crazy trying to figure this one out. I thought why is this option here but does not work?? I knew I had the option of removing pulldown in another app but wanted to do so via log and transfer if possible. Now, I can move ahead! Thanks for you reply I really appreciate it!

Return to posts index

tony rain
on Mar 20, 2009 at 6:34:59 pm

Hey Jeremy,

So, another question for you or anyone who may have insight. I attempted to to remove pulldown via Cinema Tools and could not seem to be successful at it??

I received an error...something about compression. Unfortunately I'm not in front of my system with Cinema Tools. The files are dvcpro shot with an HVX camera.

I tried from within FCP, selecting the clips and then going to Tools, reverse telecine. I then tried from within Cinema Tools.

Is there some documentation out there on the net that explains the process step by step?

I've removed pulldown in the past with ftg from the DVX and I do not remember it being that difficult. From what I remember, I basically selected the clips, from within FCP, and then went to Tools, reverse telecine and booyah. It began to remove the pulldown.

Any help, resources or information is greatly appreciated!
Thanks!

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Mar 20, 2009 at 6:51:20 pm

The Cinema Tools manual spells it out very easy like.

You don't use FCP, you open the log and transferred QT files in Cinema Tools.

You can also use Compressor for this which will be a bit more automatic.

Cinema Tools is a lot of work as you have to find a A frame on each clip.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

tony rain
on Mar 26, 2009 at 7:22:45 pm

Hey Jeremy,

because I've had no success at removing pulldown via Cinema Tools with my ftg DVCPRO HD 1080p30 (shot at 24p) I've had to find another solution. I'd still like to be able to remove the pulldown from within Cinema Tools though. The thing is when I bring my ftg into CT everything is grayed out??

I did get an error at one point that said something like 'cannot remove pullldown from files with temporal compression' This lead me to believe that there is something wrong with my DVCPRO HD 1080p30 (shot at 24p) files. In FCP 6.0.5 I went to Tools / Analyze Movie and it stated the my file is

Codec: DVCPRO HD 1080p30 at Medium Quality

here's a frame grab
http://www.tonyrain.com/images/FCP_AnalyzeMovie.png

Could this be an issue with how I imported the files via 'Log and Transfer'? I do not see any settings besides the 'remove advanced pulldown' which apparently does me no good since the ftg was shot 24p rather than 24pA

I'm not that familiar with the settings on the HVX but is there a chance that my DP shot at Medium Quality rather than High quality? I don't know if there is a quality option on the HVX?

I'm just trying to make sense of why I am having so much trouble trying to remove pulldown from with in CT. I also attempted in Compressor and was unsuccessful. It seemed to have got the cadence correct on a few clips then incorrect on others.

I've been using AE to remove pulldown but I'd rather do it via CT so that I do not have to export another file due to space issues.

Thanks for any feedback you may have. I really appreciate it!

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Mar 26, 2009 at 7:59:16 pm

I think there must be a bug within the Log and transfer software the tags 1080 material shot at 24p as 1080p30. I just received another call on this today.

Any chance you can upload a few seconds of a raw quicktime file for analysis? If not I can shoot something and check it out, but that won't be for a while.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

tony rain
on Mar 26, 2009 at 9:10:51 pm

I've uploaded a few seconds here. It's about 48MB
http://www.tonyrain.com/video/RickFlare_MyCity/0322KW_RemovePulldownTest01....

If you right click you can save file to your hard drive. I'm sure you already know that.

I'm curious to know if this was shot at medium quality? That's what FCP states when I select tools / Analyze Movie

Thanks Jeremy! I appreciate you looking into this. Please let me know what you find?

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Mar 26, 2009 at 10:07:11 pm

Thanks, Tony. I'll let you know

Return to posts index

Scott Douglas
on Apr 19, 2009 at 6:14:27 am

I'm having the exact same issues. When I play back the footage that was shot at 24p on FCP I get serious interlacing and motion blur. When I try to convert via Cinema tools it gives me the error of not being able to continue due to the file having temporal compression.

Also, my Log And Transfer is reducing the 1080i60/24p to 1280 x 1080, I realize this is normal in FCP, but usually are the QTs not detailed to be the original size of 1920 x 1080, I thought it used to be like this, but now even the QT file info gives the dimensions of 1280 x 1080.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Scott

--------------------

check my stuff out at http://scottkdouglas.com

Return to posts index

Jesse Natale
on Apr 22, 2009 at 12:29:27 am

Im having the same problem with a music video I have all edited. Can I don anything at this point and how would I go about that to get the clips in final cut to sync up with the new pulldown footage?

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Apr 24, 2009 at 2:11:57 am

[Scott Douglas] "When I try to convert via Cinema tools it gives me the error of not being able to continue due to the file having temporal compression. "

Use Compressor, but be sure to set the source file to a field order of Upper First in compressor or else it won't work.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]